WaitWhat is looking for a writer to join an exceptionally talented team of contributors for Meditative Story, a first-of-its-kind podcast listening experience that combines the emotional pull of immersive storytelling with the immediate benefits of mindfulness practice. The listening experience is elevated by gorgeous, originally composed music that rides ethereally above every story.
We’re in search of an inspiring, insightful writer who is intellectually curious, and passionate about sharing provocative ideas through longform personal storytelling. While this role is primarily focused on writing and editing scripts for audio, we’re open to candidates from a range of media.
You must enjoy working collaboratively, be open to a diverse range of viewpoints, and feel energized by the lives and experiences of others. If you share our passion for exceptional storytelling and ground-breaking media formats, we would love to hear from you!
Please listen to a few episodes of Meditative Story before submitting a cover letter, resume and writing samples that speak to the style and tone of the show.
- A passion for the Meditative Story podcast format, including a rich understanding of the show’s unique storytelling techniques, pacing, tone and syntax.
- A talent for dramatic storytelling and editing stories that have incisive beginnings, middles and ends, and convey nuanced, relatable ideas (avoiding cliche).
- Keen understanding of writing for audio, and more specifically exquisite first-person narratives.
- A clear-eyed sense of what is – and isn’t – a compelling narrative.
- An understanding and appreciation of the Meditative Story show catalog.
- A storyteller, a creative writer and a deep, analytical thinker with proven critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Highly organized and able to meet weekly deadlines.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
- 3+ years experience in long-form writing
- Experience producing and editing first-person narratives for audio a plus
- Working with the head writer and EP to complete scripts of superlative quality.
- Drafting interview questions that draw out entirely original stories from guests and highlight their natural personality, vulnerability, and wit, while identifying the universal themes embedded in the storytellers’ experiences.
- Selecting quotes from interviews and arranging them into a compelling episode outline.
- Listening to interviews with a focus on capturing a guest’s cadence and linguistic quirks, while adhering to the demands of the format.
- Working with multiple transcripts at once.
- Providing rigorous, constructive and honest feedback.
- Creating weekly deliverables, prioritizing when necessary and remaining flexible with an evolving story lineup.
We offer a benefits package that’s generous and competitive with larger companies. Benefits include 3 weeks of company holiday (2 weeks in summer + one week between Christmas and New Years), 5 personal days, healthcare (PPO, vision and dental), short- and long-term disability, life insurance and 401(k). We’re an anti-racist organization, committed to equity and diversity of all kinds — on our team, among our investors, and as represented on our media properties. Most importantly, we only hire extremely kind people.