Boys & Girls Clubs of America named "One of the Best Nonprofits to Work for in 2017 and 2018" Indeed.com
Boys & Girls Clubs of America is the nation's premier youth development organization. Our programs, training and services impact nearly 4 million children and teens every year. We are always looking for qualified professionals with a passion for improving young lives, as a member of our national staff. We have strong values, embrace diversity and offer great benefits to allow our employees to maintain work/life balance.
Under the supervision of the Senior Writer & Editor, the Writer & Editor will primarily write, edit and proofread a wide range of fundraising communications including proposals, stewardship reports, scripts, one-pager leave behinds, sales presentations/decks, video scripts, newsletters, brochures, manuals, magazine articles and correspondence. The Writer & Editor will work across departments and with RD staff to help grow BGCA’s fundraising capacity by enhancing solicitation materials and communications with existing and prospective donors.
- Write/edit and proofread proposals, reports, presentations, collateral, correspondence, publications and other materials, as needed, from Resource Development, Marketing and other BGCA departments, in a timely, concise and professional manner.
- Consult and collaborate with SMEs to collect and synthesize information, conduct research, analyze and interpret BGCA data for proposals, reports, etc., utilizing BGCA files, databases and electronic resources.
- Work closely with the Resource Development (RD) Strategy & Communications team and the entire Resource Development Department to produce written materials that generate awareness of and support for BGCA.
- Work with the Senior Writer & Editor and the RD team to ensure consistent messaging in all written materials.
- Produce error-free, compelling and accurate proposals and reports to various funders and prospects.
- Write scripts and/or video scripts for special events as requested.
- Maintain a consistently high standard for all written documents to ensure quality control. Provide compelling and accurate written documents that further BGCA’s mission.
- Consult with Marketing to ensure documents are professional, visually compelling and adhere to BGCA marketing standards. Work with our planning and measurement team on data visualization concepts to create compelling infographics.
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the organization, its mission, values, strategic goals, data/statistics, and programs to develop persuasive, outcome-driven proposals and compelling donor materials.
- Maintain a collaborative working relationship with Resource Development staff and with other departments of Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Senior Writer & Editor.
- Demonstrate BGCA mission driven I*CARE values, and integrate these beliefs into our environment and ways of work.
- Adhere to organizational policies and procedures as described in BGCA's Employee Handbook, Ethics Policy and elsewhere.
No direct Reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of temporary employees and student interns
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism or related field.
- Five years of full-time, professional work experience, preferably in a non-profit setting. Candidate should have strong writing skills that may include the successful development of proposals, grants, sales presentations and PowerPoint decks, impact reports, newsletters, acknowledgement letters, event scripts and articles. Candidate must also have experience managing projects that require efficient and collaborative work with cross-departmental groups to meet deadlines.
- Strong written communication skills (creative and persuasive) with a track record of creating and editing compelling donor materials and sophisticated business proposals. Superior proofreading and editing skills, with a strong command of grammar and meticulous attention to detail. Ability to create and incorporate infographics and other visual representations into proposals, reports and decks. Demonstrates high standards of ethics and integrity. Works well under pressure in a demanding, fast paced environment with multiple priorities and urgent deadlines. Ability to exercise sound judgment, excellent critical thinking skills, and independent decision-making. Cross-departmental relationship building skills and strong customer service orientation.
- An understanding of nonprofit communications to multiple donor audiences and a strong working knowledge of fundraising principles a plus.
- Intermediate skills in MS Word, PowerPoint and Adobe InDesign. Knowledge of and adherence to AP Style required.
- Physical requirements include sight, hearing, sitting for six to eight hours per day and other physical requirements required to perform the essential functions in this position. High energy level, comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to day activities, good reasoning abilities, sound judgment and the ability to work under tight deadlines. Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Normal Office Environment