Are you someone who enjoys learning the ins and outs of the city — from where to take in the most breathtaking views or score the best meals and deals, to knowing the who’s-who behind making a neighborhood thrive? Then this opportunity at the Alliance for Downtown New York will interest you.
For more than 20 years, the Downtown Alliance (downtownny.com) has been the steward for Lower Manhattan's Business Improvement District — covering the area south of Chambers Street. From keeping the streets clean and safe, to supporting local business and inspiring visitors, our mission is to make Lower Manhattan a thriving and inviting place. We’re seeking an energetic and prolific writer/editor who will immerse themselves in the goings-on of the area and be excited to share what they find with the communities we serve.
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Communications and Marketing and working daily with the department’s Vice President, this writer/editor will collaborate with a variety of staff to raise the visibility of the Downtown Alliance, maintain the organization’s reputation as a thought leader in areas of service, advocacy, research and information, and contribute to branding Lower Manhattan as a commercial, residential and tourism location of choice.
- Pitch and write blog posts, write and manage our newsletters, produce guides, speeches, op-eds, talking points, memos, letters, and a wide variety of print and digital copy to effectively communicate the Alliance’s message to a variety of constituencies under the direction of the senior communications staff.
- Research public affairs/policy topics.
- Provide general support for interdepartmental efforts.
- Oversee production and project management of the Alliance's shop/dine guide and annual report.
- Proofread and copy-edit work of colleagues and contributors.
- Compelling, entertaining writing.
- Effective editing and sharp copy skills.
- A keen ear for writing in an organization’s voice
- Two to three years experience in communications, marketing, public relations, blogging or news/magazine writing.
- Must work well in a team setting, and be self-motivated.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Attention to detail a must.
- Knowledge of economic development and public policy issues relevant to Lower Manhattan a plus.
- Social media power-users a plus.
Apply to Andrew Breslau with a compelling cover letter, your resume and 2 relevant writing samples via email to E70F63C270@jobs.workablemail.com.
Salary and Benefits
The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc. offers a very competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, 401k plan, commuter benefit, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, and Citibike membership. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The Alliance for Downtown New York is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the scope of our work, please consult www.downtownny.com