Substack lets writers connect with their audience on their own terms and earn money doing it. We make it simple for writers to publish to an email list that they own, get discovered on the web, and charge for subscriptions.
More than 500,000 people pay to subscribe to writers across the Substack network, and the top writers make millions of dollars a year. Substack’s model depends on the success of writers using Substack – we only make money when they do.
“Substack makes it dead simple to start a newsletter and get paid for it.” – Judd Legum, author of Popular Information
"Substack gives me a way to connect with my audience on my own terms.” – Lyz Lenz, author of God Land and Men Yell At Me
Make something that matters
Great writing is valuable. It respects readers' time, their intelligence, and their trust. It helps us make sense of and change the culture we live in. At Substack, we're building a business model that enables great writing to thrive. Learn more about our opportunity and mission.
We are a small but growing team, and there is more to build than we could ever imagine. That’s why we need you.
Every person at the company participates in customer support. We do this to build empathy with our users and enable us to build better products.
We believe that a diverse team will help us build a product that best serves the needs of a wildly diverse ecosystem of writers. So whatever your background or perspective, we’d welcome your input to help build the best possible version of Substack.
Writer Development Manager
The team at Substack is a small and eclectic group of people who care deeply about creating a sustainable business model for great writing. We are looking for someone to join the team as a Writer Development Manager to develop and nurture relationships with key writers, helping them to build publications that create lasting value, and serving as the writer’s primary point of contact both internally and externally. You should have a passion for writing and editorial strategy, plus direct experience working with writers.
In this role, you will be responsible for nurturing relationships with top Substack writers. You’ll create and develop strategies to help writers at scale to implement best practices for audience growth, strategize with them on subscription plans and launches, help develop editorial strategies that make sense for their areas of focus, and support them in meeting their growth goals.
This full-time position will be remote through January 2022 but ultimately based in our San Francisco office.
- Work one-on-one with writers to help them get the most out of the Substack product as they build and engage with their audiences
- Work with the writer team, community team, and others to develop strategies and build scalable systems (workshops, programs, content) to reach more writers with education and resources
- Be an internal advocate for your portfolio of writers, sharing their product feedback and experiences with the larger Substack team
- Collaborate with the writer recruiting team by helping writers on Substack develop a launch strategy, subscription plan, and editorial model that works for them
- Maintain and nurture a wide spectrum of relationships with writers
- Organize, track, and measure the success of your portfolio of writers
- 5+ years of experience of working with writers or creatives or in media and content-related businesses
- Writer-obsessed. You may not be a writer, but you understand the media landscape and believe that great writing is important
- Collaborative. You are empathetic, know how to communicate with a wide range of personalities, and find it easy to share ownership of projects
- Detail-oriented. You don’t mind working across spreadsheets, and you're experienced in creating efficient processes
- Adaptable. You are flexible and open-minded
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We're seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we'd love to meet you.