The game writer is at the center of the game world and design, balancing the needs of each. The writer is responsible for all in-game writing, out-of-game documentation and lore, and for breathing life into its story and characters. The writer liaises with other contributors including other writers, production, and team members as needed to drive key milestones and deliverables.
Write anywhere! This is a contract position working with a distributed team.
Required Essential Skills
- Self-directed, motivated, strong sense of ownership and follow through on commitments.
- Highly organized, disciplined, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent and proactive communicator.
- Strong negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Ability to offer and receive constructive critique.
- Write and edit in-game content: tooltips, character and ability names, UI and menus, encyclopedia and character bios, and other content as needed.
- Write story content via dialogue, quests, and other in-game narrative devices.
- Write spoken unit “barks” that confirm player actions.
- Maintain organizational documents for in-game writing assets.
- Assist audio and production teams with voice-over casting and direction.
- Maintain internal wiki for the game’s world and lore.
- Familiarity with science fiction and fantasy settings a plus.
- One shipped game title or equivalent.
- Willingness to learn and implement using game development tools.
Please include your resume as well as a minimum of three portfolio pieces: including at least one scene with dialogue, one scene of prose, and any relevant short writing pieces from games/other media (comics, film and TV, theatre, etc.).