At GoodRx, we believe that all Americans should have access to convenient and affordable healthcare. As a nation, we spend about $3.5 trillion annually on our healthcare, but too many Americans struggle to get the care they need, and prices just keep rising.
Our marketplaces for prescription medicines and telehealth have helped Americans save $30 billion since 2011. GoodRx is a public company; we're based in Santa Monica with additional offices around the country. We're a low-key and tight-knit group that likes to find new ways to fix big problems. If you share our belief that you can do well by doing good, let's talk.
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company and industry. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunities to excel.
With that said, research shows that women and other underrepresented groups apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. GoodRx is committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ communities to apply for positions even if they don’t necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Please still get in touch – we’d love to connect and see if you could be good for the role!
About the Role
GoodRx creates industry-leading healthcare content that is grounded in science and helps readers across their healthcare journey. We are currently seeking freelance update writers to ensure that we keep our content up-to-date and appealing for our readers.
We’re looking for writers who have strong fact-checking and proofreading skills, along with SEO and UX familiarity. You will use your research expertise to update existing articles and enhance them in ways that are insightful, empowering, and supported by scientific evidence. This may include structural changes, implementing keywords, updating sources, and revising outdated content.
As an updates freelance writer, you will be joining forces with a team of updates editors to refresh our full catalog of high-quality content. Topic areas include, but are not limited to, mental health, substance abuse, nutrition, clinical subjects, personal finance, pharmacy, well-being, and disease prevention.
We require writers to adhere closely to our style and sourcing guidelines, as well as be able to follow detailed update instructions. We encourage MDs, pharmacists, and those with experience of covering primary research articles on science/health/medicine to apply. A proven record of writing consumer-facing health content is a must.
Most updates will require anywhere from 500 to 750 words of new content. The pay rates will be $175 for refreshes of about 500 words, and $225 for updates of about 750 words. The number and kind of pieces may vary according to your availability, expertise, and interest. The majority of updates will not receive bylines, though, if a full rewrite is required writers will receive a byline and additional compensation.
We will initially work on a trial basis and then discuss regular contributions.
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong fact-checking and proofreading skills
- Ability to interpret research studies and simplify complex health and research concepts
- Exceptional written English and communication skills
- Experience writing for a general consumer audience
- Experience following a company style guide
- General understanding of SEO
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and on deadline
- A passion for making an impact in real people’s lives with meaningful content and information
- Proven track record of publishing high-quality health content online
- Experience covering primary research articles on science/health/medicine
- Authorship in an online consumer-facing publication
Please Include the Following with Your Application
- Resume or CV
- A short cover letter outlining your interest and experience writing about health/medicine/wellness.
- Clearly indicate any of the following subject areas you are interested in writing about: mental health, substance abuse, nutrition, conditions, insurance, personal finance, pharmacy, well-being, and/or disease prevention
- A link to your portfolio and/or four writing samples that you think best relate to our scope of work
GoodRx is America's healthcare marketplace. The company offers the most comprehensive and accurate resource for affordable prescription medications in the U.S., gathering pricing information from thousands of pharmacies coast to coast, as well as a telehealth marketplace for online doctor visits and lab tests.
Since 2011, Americans with and without health insurance have saved $30 billion using GoodRx and 20 million consumers visit goodrx.com each month to find discounts and information related to their healthcare. GoodRx is the #1 most downloaded medical app on the iOS and Android app stores. For more information, visit www.goodrx.com.