Our mission is to change the way the world deals with death. No more picturing tombstones, top hats and grey, drab Victoriana. We want to make everything to do with death easier, friendlier and more affordable. To do that, we need to write a lot of stuff. And every word of it matters.
Everyone at Farewill cares about putting our customers first and doing the hard work to make it simple for them. You’ll keep that quality up through all the writing you do. But you’ll also show the difference good writing makes, and help other people to feel more confident about their writing too.
By simplifying the complex, communicating in a warm and open way, and making one of society’s biggest taboos more approachable, you’ll have the opportunity to genuinely change people’s lives.
Day-to-day, you might
- write a guide or article to help people find us through search
- create concepts for ads, or tweak existing ones, based on the latest data insights
- turn some knotty legal jargon on our website into something anyone can understand
- help our Customer Operations team put together some tricky responses
- run some training to help your teammates write clearly and concisely.
This role is for you if:
- you’re equally comfortable putting together a brief as you are challenging one
- you’ve written a bunch of things across different industries (that could be in an agency, freelance, or in-house!)
- you love measuring the impact of your work, showing that good writing solves problems
- you think about how everything fits together – you’re just as happy looking at the bigger picture as you are diving into the detail
- you’re at ease with tone of voice guidelines and showing everyone else how to use them.
This role isn’t for you if:
- you’re only interested in one type of writing (your official home will be in the brand team, but you’ll be working on everything here)
- you need lots of top-down structure and direction - there’s a fair amount of unknown territory and things move quickly, so you’ll mostly decide what’s going to have the biggest impact
- you like spending a lot of time working alone - we want someone who seeks out feedback and loves collaborating with others.
It’s a bonus if you’ve got experience of working with a complicated or really emotive topic. But above all, you’re keen to grow and do something that’s got the potential to have a lasting impact on the world.
- the chance to shape what writing looks like at Farewill (we’re a small but mighty team and we’re growing fast...)
- a competitive salary and generous stock options
- 28 days of annual leave plus the usual bank holidays
- £1000 and 3 days a year to spend on your personal development
- flexible working to suit you (right now we’re all working from home)
- Off-site days and team lunches
- Santander cycles membership
- The chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths
If this sounds like what you’d love to be doing, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the criteria above, get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude is just as important as experience! Applications close 14th Feb.
As part of your application, we’d love to see:
- your CV and a cover letter explaining why you think you’re right for this role
- your portfolio, if you have one (please include a link or attachment)
- a brief answer to our application form question
At Farewill, we’re out to change the way the world deals with death. Helping people to take control, personally and financially, of what matters to them after they’re gone.
We launched our first product – our will-writing service – in December 2016, and since then we’ve grown to be the largest will-writer in the UK. We launched our second product, Probate, in early 2019, and then our third, Funerals.
Our growth to date has been driven by an exceptional product (see our customer reviews) and key strategic partnerships. We’ve been featured in Forbes, The Times, The Guardian and on Radio 4 among others. We're also making waves in the charity world, with over £270 million raised for charities on our platform from gifts left in wills.
We’re a creative, focused team who love what we do. We have backgrounds in design, technology, behavioural psychology, and management consultancy. We love to learn from each other and our customers, and grow together as a team.
Based in our lovely office in Haggerston, we’re backed by some of the best investors in Europe – from the founders of Transferwise, Headspace and Zoopla, to Kindred Capital, SAATCHiNVEST, JamJar, DMGT, Highland Europe and Keen Venture Partners.
This is an unusual, fascinating, and emotional area to work in – if you’re up for a big challenge we’d love to meet you. If you’d like to understand our culture and product better, here’s a few articles for you to read: About Farewill, Life at Farewill, Are you worried about your will?
We’re still hiring! Because of coronavirus, we’re all working remotely and we’ll be interviewing virtually until things are a little more...normal again.