Endgame360 is a fast-growing digital media company that today runs Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Sportscasting, Remoter.Co, and MotorBiscuit. A creative organization at its core, Endgame360’s primary goal is to delight its millions of monthly readers with high-quality content.
Relentless striving to foster a cycle of success, Endgame360’s mission is to combine data, technology, and storytelling to inform its on-the-go readers with high quality content. The company’s three core values are teamwork, radical honesty, and innovation. With its positive, results-oriented, and inclusive culture, Endgame360 has been recognized as an Inc Magazine Best Workplace in 2020.
Publishing since 2009, the company now has over 130 employees across nearly 30 states and enjoys millions of monthly readers across its four sites. Endgame360 is well-positioned to continue its growth in content, readers, and revenues.
Anywhere in the continental United States as the company operates virtually across approximately 30 states currently. Endgame360 is headquartered in Asheville, NC, but has been a remote workforce since inception. Preference may be given to candidates located in states in which we currently operate: AL, CA, CO, DC, DE, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NJ, NM, NY, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, or WV. However, we may not automatically disqualify those living elsewhere in the United States.
As a writer with Endgame360, you will report directly to the Section Editor for your specific site topic. You will also report to the Editorial Leadership team of your site. This may include the Assistant Managing Editor, Managing Editor, and/or the General Manager.
The duties and responsibilities outlined below include essential functions of the role. Depending on business needs, this role may perform a combination of some or all of the following duties. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
As a writer, your primary responsibility is to provide high-quality coverage for your site within a single vertical. Dependent upon your role, production expectations include creating between 14-19 winning search articles each working week and achieving/maintaining at least 1 million pageviews each 30-day period.
Our writers achieve these goals by identifying trending topics and developing unique story ideas and angles based on trending news, social media, and demonstrating an understanding of industry knowledge of what will perform well in the organic search space.
The ongoing responsibilities are as follows:
- Achieve/maintain at least 1 million pageviews in a 30-day period or, for sites that are still developing, a monthly pageview threshold that aligns with the company’s current goals for your site. PV thresholds are subject to change based on business needs.
- Consistently achieving and maintaining production expectations based on the weekly published article count dependent upon your role.
- Consistently deliver high-quality, self-edited, and professional articles. Have the ability to self-edit articles and the desire to continue honing your grammar skills.
- Submit complete article posts which include embeds, relevant images, appropriate links, SEO tactics, etc. Emphasis placed on search writing and keyword research skills.
- Follow the quality guidelines for our site(s), demonstrate knowledge of what a quality article on our site(s) is, and avoid issues of problematic headlines, weak attribution, poor grammar, and other potential issues that could cause readers to view our site’s work in a negative light.
- Dive into research, making use of linking and sourcing best practices, to show your stories are based on more than just one person’s opinion.
- Take a data-focused approach to writing utilizing our in-house tool and Google Analytics (GA) to gain insights on article performance. Use GA to track progress toward monthly data benchmarks of performance.
- Participate in initiatives for training, growth, and development. This can include activities like peer coaching, writer workshops, and calls with site leadership and/or quality editors.
- Collaborate with our Editorial team and join scheduled meetings to understand what does/doesn’t work for a story on your site(s). Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to re-focus coverage when necessary.
- Proficiency in systems used, to include: WordPress, Google Analytics, Grammarly, Getty Images, etc.
- Show an ability to work freely with little supervision.
- Use our workflow and communication tools as a core function of performing all aspects of this role and communicating within the company. These tools include Slack, Asana, and GSuite.
- Participate in meetings and calls with team members, and small and large group settings, utilizing video call technology.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to meet/utilize company standard operating procedures or guidelines.
- Work in a fast-paced, ever-changing, and demanding remote environment
Additional Responsibilities, dependent upon the role, may include but are not limited to:
- *Staff Writer – Mentor: *Mentor up to 3 peer new hires per month. Present writer tips on team calls once per month.
- *Staff Writer – Content Specialist: *Co-host group brainstorming calls once per month with a Senior Writer; meet with up to 3 writers per month for 1:1 brainstorming sessions. Present useful/informative data analysis on section team call at least once per month. This could be related to winning topics, areas of opportunity, or other topics that will help other writers develop their coverage.
- *Staff Writer – Producer: *Participate in content development initiatives. This could include producing 1 long-form article per week, completing 2-3 evergreen content updates per week, or other future product initiatives.
- *Senior Writer – Content Expert: *Host group brainstorming calls once per month and mentor a Staff Writer on that process including selecting and pre-researching a topic, facilitating the call, and pre- and post-call communications. Meet with up to 5 writers per month for 1:1 brainstorming sessions
- *Senior Writer – Specialty Producer: *Produce at least 2-3 “originals” per week. Specialty content counts toward “originals” total. Participate in specialty content initiatives, which will vary by site and may include multimedia contributions like video creation. For MotorBiscuit, this will include templated vehicle reviews.
- *Senior Writer – Coach: *Coach up to 3 writers at a time. Minimum expectations for coaching include: one bi-weekly 1:1 call with writers, providing content feedback to writers once per week. Host one writer training call per quarter on topics like original reporting or contact building.
Dependent upon the role, qualifications and experience may vary. The following is a breakdown of the experience we’re looking for with each role:
- *Associate Writer: *Ideal candidates will have at least 1 year of experience. Internship/Freelance/Some Experience may be considered as well.
- *Writer: *Ideal candidates have 2-5 years of relevant professional experience that directly relates to the position they’ve applied for. They have worked for at least one direct competitor and/or digital media site(s) that could easily translate to our business model.
- *Staff & Senior Writer: *Ideal candidates have 5+ years of relevant professional experience that directly relates to the position they’ve applied for. They have worked for multiple direct competitors or digital media sites that could easily translate to our business model.
The final candidate will have many of the following experiences, skills, and personal attributes.
- You’re passionate and experienced in writing about a variety of topics relevant to the site you will be writing for, as well as a voice that you’re looking to hone.
- You’re driven to reach audiences with engaging and well-researched headlines and demonstrated ability to do so.
- You have a working knowledge of SEO and previous experience using WordPress is preferred, but not required.
- A strong grasp of proper grammar and punctuation (e.g., Strunk & White’s The Elements of Style). Knowledge of AP Style is a plus.
- The skill to recognize interesting news elements, come up with story ideas, and have these appeal to our readers.
- The ability to use our communication tools like Slack, Asana, and GSuite — or willingness and ability to get up to speed with using ours in your first 90 days.
- General knowledge of social media best practices is preferred, but not required.
- The ability to work closely with a team of remote team members. You are knowledgeable and experienced in using a variety of technologies and platforms (such as video conferencing for team and company meetings).
- A willingness to learn quickly and adapt to the varying and ever-changing demands of the job. This includes flexible scheduling, as needed, per site and operational needs.
- Ability to read and interpret data. Utilize Google Analytics and identify positive trends in article traffic & pageviews, used to guide content creation.
- Self-editing your work is a strength. You have the knowledge and experience needed to do so as it relates to proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.
- Open to and demonstrate the ability to accept constructive criticism and apply feedback to improve upon skills and work ethic.
A four-year college degree or equivalent work experience is required.
Salary range per position outlined below. Editorial positions are also eligible for a bonus program based on production and performance.
Associate Writer: $43,830
Staff Writer: $50,826 – $55,816
Senior Writer: $56,800 – $62,168
Endgame360 offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an exceptional bonus plan, flexible time off program, paid parental leave, paid family medical leave, health, dental, and vision insurances, 401k with employer match, a continuing education allowance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, meet & greets, and financial advising. Endgame360 offers short-term disability insurance fully paid by the company.
Endgame360 also offers voluntary long-term disability insurance, voluntary life insurance, and commuter benefits. In addition, this role will include participation in a long-term incentive plan.