Do You Love Journalism but Want More Stability?
… Then the Senior Writer role at Custody X Change may be for you.
Our Pitch to You
Like news outlets, we have high standards for writing and research. But we offer advantages that newsrooms can’t:
- Our writers rarely scramble because they don’t face strict deadlines.
- They have plenty of work without hunting down story ideas.
- They set their own hours and don’t work overtime.
- Our company and industry are growing.
Besides that, you'll be working for a worthy cause. Your articles will help families navigate child custody during a pivotal time in their lives.
About the Role
We’re hiring one or two trained writers to join us in a full-time, long-term, work-from-home role.
We create fact-based articles (like this one) about child custody processes in English-speaking countries.
We call and email lawyers and other experts so the articles have first-hand insight that's not available elsewhere. Our writers turn out organized, easy-to-understand pieces to help parents... without any fluff.
The team also writes marketing copy, guest posts for parenting websites, content for the Custody X Change help center and more. Given this, you must be able to balance journalistic, promotional and consumer-focused writing.
We will help you grow your writing-related skills. For example, you will need to copy edit, analyze SEO value and upload content using simple HTML (which we can teach you). And you will likely get involved in non-writing projects — by researching custody trends, giving feedback on product updates and more.
About the Company
Our company is Custody X Change. We sell an app that creates child custody schedules and parenting plans.
The app helps families make difficult decisions following separation and facilitates communication between parents who may not get along anymore. This reduces conflict and saves people a ton of money in legal fees.
Custody X Change has been around since 2004. Producing high-quality online content has always been foundational to our strategy.
If you want to join a small, remote team and help people discover a genuinely helpful product, we're a great match.
What We Expect From You
- You have at least three years of professional experience with non-creative writing. (Journalism preferred.)
- You aren’t shy about reaching out to strangers for interviews and getting turned down.
- You like working independently and think it’s great if you only see your colleagues once a week on video chat.
- You know how to write for different audiences while matching our concise, simple style.
- You are fact-focused and ready to dive deep into complicated topics.
- You are well-versed in grammar and writing skills, such as active voice.
- You respond to editing humbly and proactively.
- You have native-level English proficiency and are authorized to work in the U.S.
- We get along. (To see the team you’ll be joining, visit our about us page.)
The starting salary for this role is USD $16-$20 per hour with benefits on a W-2 contract.