Job Summary: The Writer, Travel Noire is responsible for sourcing, writing, and reporting on stories that affect and reflect the Black Travel community; including trending news, personal travel stories, interviews, travel hacks, recommendations, and more. In collaboration with the Travel Noire Editorial Team, this position involves identifying and writing stories, conducting research, interviewing sources, and reviewing viral trends.
The ideal candidate has a passion for travel and Black culture across the African diaspora, thrives in a fast-paced environment, is open-minded, persistent, quick and effective at reporting, and is an excellent storyteller.
This position is a 1099 contract and will be overseen by the Deputy Editor, Travel Noire.
- Publish a minimum of three stories per shift
- Source relevant stories and stay abreast of news and trends in travel
- Familiarity with news and lifestyle writing
- Pitch creative and original content ideas that align with Travel Noire’s brand
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in journalism or relevant work experience
- Experience: 1-3 years of experience writing and reporting for a digital news publication
- Other Experience:
- Experience in lifestyle writing
- Experience writing news stories on tight deadlines
- Fact-checking and ensuring all information is accurate/credible
- Proficiency in WordPress
- Experience using Google Suite, Microsoft Office, or equivalent
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.