Are you passionate about transit, walking, bicycling, development, public housing, and affordable housing? Do you want to help make the region more equitable and sustainable? Do you love to write about what’s going on locally and are you good at making articles by other people sharper and more compelling?
Greater Greater Washington is looking for a talented, motivated journalism professional with an understanding of the issues GGWash covers, a keen eye for engaging content, and a strong commitment to an inclusive, diverse, growing Washington, DC region where all people can choose to live in walkable urban communities.
Job Responsibilities Include
Write Articles About Issues the Ggwash Website Covers (~ 50% of Time):
- Write 2-3 short, newsy articles per week about housing and transportation issues of interest to the GGWash community in DC, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Montgomery, and Prince George’s.
- Collect pitches from GGWash editorial and policy staff and volunteers and work with other editorial staff to prioritize articles; consult GGWash staff and volunteers as sources or for referrals to sources as appropriate and identify other sources.
Work Collaboratively in an Editing Team (~ 50% of Time):
- Edit approximately one article per weekday. Correspond with the contributor to ensure a satisfactory product that meets GGWash editorial standards and style guide rules and respects the contributor’s voice.
- Coordinate the article queue and publication schedule during times of day the Editor is unavailable or during days the Editor is on vacation.
- Suggest or write catchy headlines and tweets to draw attention to articles.
- Edit our daily Breakfast links post submitted by links curators.
- Edit and post our daily and Saturday email.
- Identify issues and solicit contributions from GGWash’s volunteer community.
- Participate in discussions with the Editorial Board approximately monthly during evenings.
You can read our full job description here.
To apply, send a resume; a personal statement of up to one page explaining why you would enjoy working in this role; and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Writer/Editor” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through Tuesday, August 31.
Also, please send this to other people who might be a great fit. Thank you!
Update: This article has been updated to include an extended application deadline of August 31.