We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our growing Design team.
The Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the role
UX Writers at Stripe play an integral role on our Product Design team. You’ll be focused on depth over breadth—UX Writers dive deep into one or two products at any given time, quickly becoming subject matter experts. UX Writers and Product Designers closely collaborate, and have an equal voice in the product development process.
You’ll have the opportunity to provide strategic direction on high priority projects, in addition to crafting elegant interface copy that distills complex concepts into clear, actionable language. You’ll work with writers across the company to influence and codify standards and documentation for UX writing. You’ll champion our users, who range from seasoned developers and first-time founders with varying levels of technical expertise to small businesses and leading enterprises. Your goal is to help them confidently grow their businesses with Stripe.
Please note we have one opening for this position and are looking for a UX Writer to be based in North America.
- Work with design, product, and engineering, to create the words that guide Stripe’s product experiences
- Shape (and scribe) user flows, interactions, messaging, and microcopy within product interfaces
- Communicate complex product features and benefits in ways that speak up to our users and help them understand and use our products
- Create strategic product narratives for a diverse product portfolio
- Create, maintain, and implement style guides and shared nomenclature across Stripe
- Write using best practices for inclusivity and accessibility (e.g., l10n, a11y) to reach users worldwide
- Collaborate with researchers and apply user insights to inform strategic decisions and copy direction
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience working as a UX writer or content strategist
- Can embrace the highly technical nature of Stripe and our products, and deliver intuitive solutions to our users
- Are relentlessly user focused
- Have a keen eye for detail in your work
- Can edit existing work or create new copy with input from stakeholders
- Can write everything the user experience requires, including navigation items, button labels, tool tips, headlines, intro copy, error messages
- Can embrace a fast-paced, iterative work environment
- Can integrate new design tools into your workflow
You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio or 3–5 UX writing samples
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A few words about why Stripe is interesting to you.