This is a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
About the Content Designer/UX Writer Role
Do you have a passion for user-centered problem-solving and storytelling? Are you passionate about studying, understanding, and responding to human needs? Do you want to build engaging products that tackle real problems and build outstanding emotional experiences? Then imagine what you can do working with a like-minded, multi-disciplinary team in our User Experience group.
Our growing User Experience team is seeking a passionate and hardworking Content Designer to create customer-facing User Interfaces across multiple brands and digital platforms. Our work touches millions of lives across In-Vehicle, Web, Mobile and Wearable interfaces.
As a Content Designer, you would collaborate with designers, researchers, technologists, and business stakeholders to craft meaningful experiences for our customers through thoughtful design. The ideal candidate will exhibit detailed mastery of the English language, an understanding of and commitment to user-centered design, and have experience writing for digital products.
Content Designers will support multi-disciplinary teams focused on translating human needs into viable product concepts using iterative, human-centered design. Content contributions will include guidelines and documentation for our Design System, and user interface copy for cohesive cross-channel experiences in E-commerce, Connected Vehicle, GM Mobile Apps, and the OnStar brand.
- Provide both strategic direction and writing for user interface copy
- Help create and maintain user experience guidelines that are in line with our brands, voice, and tone
- Drive a vision for content across all channels for a given product domain
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, prototypers, product managers, and engineers to define requirements
- Help coordinate translations, improve writing tools and processes, format documents, and generally lend a hand as needed to produce extraordinary software and hardware products
- Find smart ways to use data and research to evaluate and improve content
- Act as a subject matter specialist and point of contact for user experience writing.
- Empathy: You are curious about how other people work, live, and think, you will enjoy meeting the users of our products, and thinking about content by visualizing yourself as one who will consume it.
- Superb communication skills: You can communicate broad concepts as well as fine detail through written and graphical media. You can convey design solutions through sketches and visualizations, as well as through prose.
- A quick study: You have the ability to understand systems and processes, both in software and in the real world. You will be required to digest and understand the many complex factors that govern vehicle design, from social and peer norms to a multinational regulatory environment. You will be able to successfully navigate those factors as you create content solutions.
- Outstanding collaboration skills: You are an effortless collaborator. You welcome ideas from any source, and are prepared to build on them to make the work of your team successful.
- Native fluency in written and verbal English
- Experience writing user interface copy for web, mobile, or in-vehicle interfaces
- Experience creating content frameworks, navigational nomenclature, and taxonomies
- Experience working with Engineering and Product Management teams as part of the software development process
- Strong portfolio with work samples showcasing expertise in copy writing for digital products, product documentation, or content strategies
- Open to feedback and knows how give and receive criticism
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to think critically about user journeys and content flows and how they impact design
Additional Job Description
Additional Job Description
- Interests aligned with Tech and Automotive industries
- Experience incorporating research into the design process, including contextual inquiry, usability testing, heuristic evaluation, etc.
- Strong understanding of User Experience and Design Thinking
Education and Experience
- 3 to 5 years of UX, Technical, or Marketing writing, product documentation or online publishing
- Degree in Communications, Professional Writing, HCI, or related.
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Compensation: The median level of salary compensation for this role is $88,667.00.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture.
Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging.
We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.