Please include URL(s) to an online portfolio in addition to your resume, as submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered. See tips on preparing for your design portfolio here.
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA; Redwood City, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Technical Writing, UX, HCI, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience on user-focused product writing including work in hardware, software, digital agency, or other relevant product area.
- Experience in shaping content for multi-disciplinary projects.
- A portfolio of UX-focused writing samples and style guidelines.
- 8 years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience developing information architecture for complex documentation sets or product suites. Experience with localization and accessibility best practices.
- Knowledge of online technology and related products, including web and mobile UI and tools.
- Familiarity with user experience research principles and practices and how to use data to provide informed user insights.
- Ability to lead, collaborate and influence (with and without formal authority) engineering, design and product management teams.
About The Job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." Google’s UX Writers use their gift for language to design intuitive, delightful product experiences that help people accomplish their goals.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products.
The UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of people who use our products to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Google’s businesses.
As a UX Writer, you’ll regularly use craft, empathy, logic, and data to inform writing and design choices. You’ll drive guidelines, create frameworks, design solutions, influence product vision, manage cross-functional projects, and work with leadership to set goals.
You’ll apply user-centered design methods to all elements of product design, with a focus on clarity, coherence, quality, accessibility, and global relevance. You’ll partner with teams to concept, test, design, and deliver human-centered user experiences and build products that are distinctively Google: inclusive, helpful, useful, and trusted.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity.
We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Use writing and editing skills to write user interface text that facilitates user navigation, as well on-boarding, promos, error messages, instructional materials, and other components of the end-to-end user experience.
- Drive vision for product language and content across a product or subject-matter domain, and ensure cohesive product narratives. Document your strategies with guidelines, and establish best practices and strategy principles.
- Manage projects from needs assessment to implementation; identify opportunities, establish priorities, secure resources, and manage stakeholders.
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, legal, marketing, product managers, and engineers. Influence and adapt to stakeholders and their feedback.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship to junior UX writers and educate cross-functional partners on the role of UX writing and content strategy throughout the product development process.