You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day.
Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
The Technical Writer II creates various technical documentation including service, operator, and maintenance manuals as well as kits and bulletins for Vermeer equipment. This position writes theory of troubleshooting and repair procedures, edits existing similar standard text for adaptation, and organizes the information for each functional chapter of the manual.
This role obtains and analyzes hydraulic and electrical schematics to further understand machine operation and determines the best way to divide the manual into the appropriate chapters based on machine functions. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Exhibit the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused and stewardship while modeling the associated behaviors.
2. Illustrate manual content through 2D and 3D graphical content computer programs, digital photographs, and drawings or diagrams from solid models. Creates models when they are not available.
3. Determine best way to divide manual into appropriate chapters based on machine functions by obtaining and analyzing hydraulic and electrical schematics, observing machines in the field to understand machine operation, and reviewing similar model service manuals for content organization.
4. Research vendor publications for specifications, troubleshooting, and repair information on items such as engines, clutches, hydraulic, electric, and mechanical components.
5. Write addendum documents to organize electrical and hydraulic schematics, wiring harness diagrams, and any additional documentation as needed.
6. Write theory of operation, troubleshooting procedures, and repair procedures for each functional chapter of the manual and submit to engineering, service, and product safety/legal personnel for content review.
7. Revise manual content based on markups obtained in the review process and provide revised copy to editor for final review.
8. Work with engineering teams to review the solutions for field issues. Gather information for kit instructions.
9. Illustrate and write kit instructions based on provided Bill of Materials and brief kit outline.
10. Manage assigned kit and manual project from beginning to publishing.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, and/or similar field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical writing and graphic arts; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Project Management experience preferred.
- Previous mechanical experience preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office required.
- Proficient with Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator and Photoshop required.
- Proficient with CAD software required.
- Proficient with both structured and unstructured writing environment preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Demonstration of good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge in the area(s) of applicable software programs.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation of digital cameras.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation of digital multi-meter, pressure gauges, digital camera, torque wrench and other basic tools.
- Knowledge of open loop and closed loop hydraulics, DC electrical circuits, CAN bus, Vermeer equipment and machine function.
- Knowledge of electrical and hydraulic schematic symbols and their functions in schematics.
- Ability to analyze complex electrical and hydraulic schematics and write the principles of operation from knowledge obtained.
- Ability to write detailed troubleshooting procedures using a logical common sense approach.
- Ability to explain technical information in simple terms that readers can easily understand.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with customers and co-workers.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks while supporting the department.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Up to 5% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
HYBRID: Some of a team member’s day-to-day work may be best done at a location other than a Vermeer campus. Discuss specific arrangements with your manager.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability at any stage of the employment application process should contact Team Member Solutions in human resources at (641) 621-8767 or at email@example.com.