The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of WhiteKnightTwo carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system.
Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is seeking a Technical Writer whose responsibilities include creating, writing, a variety of technical manuals including maintenance manuals (AMM, CMM, GMM), Pilot Operating Handbooks (POHs), Service Bulletins (SB), Operating Instructions (OI), training documents, and other manuals to S1000D specification, and outputting them into PDF, Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals (IETMs) and other formats. The Technical Writer will be expected to work hands-on with maintainers, engineers, and manufacturing personnel to create best-practices and procedures for custom-built aircraft.
The Technical Writer will review and rework any discrepancies related to various aircraft/spacecraft systems. Additionally, the Technical Writer will make sure that the documentation conforms to established style guides and standards and will work with product managers and end users to make sure all technical documentation meets customer requirements. The Technical Writer is expected to become a subject matter expert on aircraft systems by interviewing product engineers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical drawings and specifications, and engineering illustrations. He/she will oversee preparation of illustrative materials, select drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts. He/she will conduct quality review of materials.
- Write and maintain spacecraft technical documentation to include operator, maintenance, training and other supporting materials
- Collaborate with document users and product managers to make sure of accuracy, quality, clarity and effectiveness of documentation
- Provide and solicit feedback for improvement of documentation and writing processes
- Collaborate with other technical writers in development of procedures and methods of writing to reflect best industry practices
What you bring
- Bachelors' degree and 5+ years minimum related experience in technical writing, preferably with aviation/aerospace experience
- Familiar with space and/or aviation documentation formats, including ATA 100 / iSpec 2200 and/or S1000D authoring and publication standards, AMM, GOM, GMM, POH (including normal and emergency procedures), TO, SB, Technical Directives, Airworthiness Directives, etc.
- Ability to work hands-on with cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to create accurate and concise technical materials
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Flexible and open-minded
- Creative and imaginative, open to unique ways of presenting information
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Demonstrated competency in the following:
- Content Creation and Publishing Tools
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project
- Experience with SGML/XML
- Strong overall computer skills.
- Familiarity with aviation/aerospace operations, pilot and maintenance processes
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.