You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
1 - First Shift
The Technical Writer I creates operator and maintenance manuals, kits, and bulletins for Vermeer equipment. This position partners with engineering to develop content for publication, and then organizes material and completes first draft of manuals. This role prepares PDF’s for final publishing based upon engineering, service, product safety, and editor feedback.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Illustrate manual content through 2D and 3D graphical content computer programs, digital photographs, and drawings or diagrams from solid models.
3. Work with engineering to establish technical specifications and develop content. Review vendor information such as engine manuals and similar model operator manuals (OM)/maintenance manuals (MM) for manual layout and content organization.
4. Organize material and edit content for adaptation to required machine model. Complete writing of the first draft manual and submit to engineering, service, and product safety/legal personnel for content review.
5. Revise manual content based on markups obtained in the review process and provide revised copy to editor for final review. Utilize publishing software to create supporting elements of the manual, such as index and table of contents, and prepare PDF’s for final publishing.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, and/or similar field with a minimum of 2 years of experience in technical writing and graphic arts; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Previous mechanical experience preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Demonstration of good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge in the area(s) of applicable software programs.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation of digital cameras.
- Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
- Ability to explain technical information in simple terms that readers can easily understand.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with customers and co-workers.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks while supporting the department.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Up to 5% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability at any stage of the employment application process should contact Team Member Solutions in human resources at (641) 621-8767 or at email@example.com.