Our user base and development team are both growing at an explosive pace. With this growth comes an increasing need for approachable and detailed documentation. In response, we’re hiring a talented writer with technical chops, excellent communication skills, a passionate curiosity for data, and a desire to make technical concepts approachable to everyone.
As a senior technical writer at Sigma, you will publish documentation in support of engineering teams that releases several times a week. We move very fast as an organization, and your work style should closely match our rapid cadence in order for you to achieve success in the role. You are expected to be proactive and seek out documentation gaps. You will be an active member of one or more technical pods, working with PM, Engineering and Design. You will collaborate with them throughout the entire product development process.
Who You Are
- You’re resourceful. When things aren’t clear, you investigate & research. You’re the first to raise your hand to ask for clarification.
- You’re curious. You’re excited to learn about complex problems in the data analytics space. You will learn to use our product to make data-driven decisions, and you will become an expert in our users' business needs.
- You’re self-motivated. You seek out projects and opportunities to make an impact.
- You’re chill. Sigma moves fast and things can get a little wild. You know how to prioritize, stay productive, and creative.
- You’re strong. You’re able to wrangle strong personalities and even stronger opinions and facilitate them to agreement.
- You can context switch. You’re comfortable working on numerous docs at once with different delivery dates and other projects to improve our documentation culture & posture.
What You Will Be Doing
- You will plan, create, and maintain customer facing documentation for one or more core product areas.
- You will dig into technical details with engineers and designers, turning them into clear usable documentation.
- You will work closely with members of the development team (engineers, designers, and product managers) throughout the development process.
- You will test features and provide feedback.
- You will be asked to adapt to and help shape our processes and procedures.
- At times, you will be asked to supplement documentation based on feedback from customer facing teammates (notably Customer Support and Sales Engineers).
- Contribute to CMS management and transition to new CMS if needed.
- You will contribute to authoring and maintaining Sigma’s style guide.
- Supervising and approving the work of more junior TWs.
- Identify documentation gaps and proactively produce documentation to address this.
Qualifications We Need
- 5 - 7 years of technical writing experience
- Experience working on a cross-functional team (Eng/Product/Design)
- Strong writing skills with a focus on an active tone, with an emphasis on clarity and approachable language
- Strong deadline management skills
- Ability to manage multiple writing assignments simultaneously
- You are a living, breathing rosetta stone and can speak sales, marketing, product, design and engineering. You can translate input from each of those disciplines into coherent documentation for end users
- You like to learn new things and aren’t shy about asking questions when documenting concepts or terminology you might not be familiar with
- Experience writing documentation for multiple different user personas
- Experience using multiple content management systems to author documentation.
- Experience using version control systems
- Experience working with multiple cross-functional stakeholders and teams
- Startup experience is a must.
Qualifications We Want
- Experience creating documentation in the field of data analysis
- Experience diagramming technical concepts
- Experience writing API and/or Developer documentation.