Shopify is Canada’s largest technology company, and among the fastest growing companies in the world. Our platform is powered by an Engineering team made up of almost 2,000 software developers across the globe. As we grow, we are committed to building a thriving, inclusive craft community that enables our engineers at all job levels to do their best work and contribute to our mission.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across North America where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere.
We are looking for an experienced and creative Technical Writer to join our Data Science & Engineering Programs team. You’ll work under the team’s brand and communication arm, responsible for building the Shopify Data brand both externally and internally.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for writing and editing data-centric content that highlights the awesome work the team is driving forward. You’ll do this by working closely with Shopify data scientists and engineers to identify and craft stories for our blog, while also partnering with internal marketing teams to create and amplify technical-first content.
To be successful in this role, you must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, writing technically, storytelling, being goal-oriented, managing multiple projects, and building relationships. You work well under pressure, understand what motivates data scientists and engineers, have a keen eye for great stories, and can both set and deliver on hard deadlines while simultaneously thriving in a changing environment. You are obsessed with taking technical content and transforming it into engaging stories.
If you love storytelling and are an experienced technical writer, join our team!
- Write and edit technical, data-centred content for the Shopify Data blog
- Collaborate with internal marketing teams to create and review technical-focused marketing content (e.g. social copy, landing page copy, video scripts...)
- Work closely with Shopify data scientists and engineers to identify and write key technical stories that we should be sharing externally
- Create and manage a content funnel, intake process and strategy for data-centered stories
- Build relationships across Shopify Data, Engineering, and Marketing
Requirements for the role:
- Strong writing and editing skills based on past experience in a technical writing or editorial role
- Exceptional storytelling skills and ability to identify interesting stories
- Ability to quickly grasp the fundamentals of a technology and turn it into a long-form story, or distill it into a few words.
- Can own the creation of a technical piece of content from intake interview with subject matter expert, to ideation, to final copy.
- A commitment to understanding our data audiences’ needs
- Well-versed in building and managing a network of subject matter experts and stakeholders at multiple levels
- High standards, an obsessive eye for detail, and a strong sense of ownership
- Demonstrated ability to manage and deliver on deadlines
- A self-starter who takes initiative and is excited to problem-solve
- Proven ability to thrive on change
- Experience managing or writing for a technical blog
- Background in data science or engineering
Top Drawer Challenge:
Choose your own adventure (choose one of the below):
- In 500 words, please write a post re-introducing the algorithm behind Shopify Capital. You should explain what Shopify Capital is and how data drives the product. Please spend no more than 1 hour on this!
- Go to our blog and find an article that you think could be made better with a few tweaks. Explain what’s missing, how the story could flow better or how you would write it differently.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. This posting will close on Sunday October 3rd at 11:59pm.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.