Oracle’s Cloud Infrastructure team is building new Infrastructure-as-a-Service technologies that operate at high scale in a broadly distributed multi-tenant cloud environment. Our customers run their businesses on our cloud, and our mission is to provide them with best-in-class compute, storage, networking, database, security, and an ever-expanding set of foundational cloud-based services.
We seek top-notch, very senior technical writers with cloud infrastructure knowledge and experience in creating technical documentation that include real-world examples and scenarios. As a member of our technical content team, you will have significant influence on technical content strategy in all areas, including authoring environments, integration with engineering workflows, automation tooling, and style guide development. You will also collaborate closely with our state-of-the-art user experience team to go beyond traditional forms of product documentation to deliver a ground-breaking overall user experience.
These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, still at an early stage, and working on ambitious new initiatives. At Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, you can have significant strategic and technical impact by helping to build innovative technical content from the ground up. If you enjoy a challenge and seek to influence your work and working environment, this may be the opportunity for you.
- Deliver accurate customer-facing documentation on time and with a high degree of quality.
- Collaborate with the user experience team to ensure that technical content — including documentation, contextual help, UI text, and other forms of user assistance — are discoverable, usable, and pleasing to the customer.
- Work closely with engineers and product managers as APIs and SDKs are developed to author documentation in real time.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives around authoring environments, development processes, and automation tooling.
- Work closely with other members of the technical content team and follow departmental style guide to ensure consistency in workflow and writing style.
- 5+ years of experience writing developer-focused documentation or training materials, including guides, tutorials, and white papers.
- Knowledge of DITA, XML, CCMS, and authoring tools such as Oxygen XML Editor.
- Knowledge of cloud concepts and technologies.
- Experience developing API or SDK documentation. Ability to write Java code for use as examples in documentation is a plus.
- Knowledge of REST principles and design.
- Impeccable written English skills.
- Strong team player with outstanding communication, organization, and interpersonal skills. We believe the HOW is as important as the WHAT.
- A history of fearless hands-on investigation and product use and a strong customer advocate mentality.
- Comfort with agile, swiftly changing, dynamic software development situations.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Ability to establish and follow style and usage guidelines.
- Ability to follow and evangelize cross-team processes.
- Familiarity with software translation and accessibility guidelines.
- Experience using distributed source code management systems such as Git and Bitbucket.
- Experience using issue tracking systems such as JIRA.
- Experience developing project plans and managing schedules with a keen sense of organization and attention to detail.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a writing-intensive field, Computer Science, Information Technology, or significant work experience in start-ups or fast-paced enterprise technology development environments. Experience as a developer is a plus (using Java or any other programming language.)
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining user assistance and training documentation for Oracle applications. Collaborate with multiple internal stakeholders to design our next generation of user assistance technology and implementing new embedded help delivery mechanisms that improve how technical information is delivered to our customers. Work with development teams to implement code for new user assistance mechanisms.
Create a variety of user assistance for your assigned product, which may include training courses, certification exams, documentation, tutorials, videos, embedded help in UI, sample code, eBooks, infographics following user assistance development processes, templates, and standards using various tools and systems. Perform job task analyses and create user assistance design documents to identify common user tasks to be addressed through user assistance. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop user assistance vision documents which will include the product use cases, common tasks, and user personas. Recognize problems with and recommend enhancements for user assistance for group, team, and department and share with management. Develop hands-on training course labs on a virtualization platform, Create lab modules that include scripts, plus other files needed for successful completion of the labs in creating training courses. Participate in the validation testing of these labs to ensure delivery of a repeatable and predictable hands-on lab environment. Respond to queries on help forums or mailing lists, and act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned products. Participate in internal tasks forces related to user assistance and other technical matters. Participate in discussions at user assistance and feature team meetings. Ensure best practices for usability of user assistance by involving SMEs and customers in user needs analysis. Develop and review certification exam items. Organize and teach course pilots and deliver train-the-trainer events to prepare instructors to teach the course.
Follow a prescribed learning plan to gain a thorough understanding of the product's technical details and functionality. Job duties are varied and complex utilizing independent judgment. Demonstrate functional knowledge of Windows and Linux or UNIX. Demonstrate understanding of four of the following technologies: XML, XHTML, XSL, DITA, CSS, DOM, RDBMS, CGI, PHP, REST, Java servlets, or XML schemas for user assistance types, and information and learning architecture. Possess a degree, certificate, or relevant industry experience. Suggested majors include English, technical writing, communications, instructional design, software engineering, or computer science. Minimum of 5+ years of user assistance development or relevant experience.
Oracle is an Affirmative Action-Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.