Linode, the leader in cloud computing for developers, is seeking a talented Technical Writer Contractor to join our growing documentation team. As a Technical Writer Contractor at Linode, you will be required to write customer service focused documentation and, when needed, product-focused documentation for Linode’s open-source library of tutorials, how-tos, and guides. You should have significant prior experience with, and knowledge of, Linux and open-source software. You will need a command of the English language, and a working knowledge of Git.
You will help Linode maintain existing documentation, and author new how-to guides and tutorials on a wide range of topics relevant to Linode cloud computing users. For instance, you may be tasked with updating a tutorial with instructions for a new version of a Linux distribution, authoring a guide on how to install a new content management system, or creating customer-facing documentation for a new product offering. You will work alongside a knowledgeable, experienced group of technical writers in a collaborative environment.
This is a fully-remote contract position and we are accepting applications from anywhere worldwide.
- Write, organize, and curate technical content about Linux, Cloud, and software development topics.
- Edit and proofread documentation created by other writers and subject matter experts in a collaborative editing environment
- Work directly with Engineering, Product, and Customer Support teams to collect information required for the preparation of documents, and develop a strong technical understanding of the topics.
- Contribute to plans for creating new guides and editing existing documentation
- Work independently and cross-functionally under general supervision
- BA/BS in Technical Communications, English, Computer Science, or another subject.
- 2+ years of technical writing experience.
- Experience with Git and Github.
- Outstanding proofreading and editing skills.
- The ability to use a Linux shell environment.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
Equal Employment, Equal Treatment, No Judgment
Linode is committed to a culture that creates a sense of inclusion and belonging. We understand that teams perform their best when they include people with diverse backgrounds and differing perspectives, but also that to achieve greatness, people need to feel like they can be themselves; they need to be equal, included, and comfortable in order to perform at their best. Linode stands for equal pay, equal treatment, and equal experiences for all of our people, past, present, and future, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic class, disability status, or any other differentiating factor. We strive to make sure every last person who we interact with feels like they belong and has the same opportunities as everyone else.
Since 2003, Linode has been providing cloud computing services to customers around the world. Linode offers compute, storage, and networking services from ten data centers in regions spanning across North America, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. We are committed to making Linode the most simple, powerful, and reliable hosting provider that thousands of customers—from the fastest-growing startups to established enterprises—trust. This industry moves fast, but we strive to hire the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace for all.