Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
This role is ideally Ottawa or Montreal based however remote in Ontario or Quebec is also available.
Are you the multifaceted and versatile Senior Technical Writer who will join the Ciena Product Documentation Development organization?
Can you contribute to the evolution, development, and maintenance of the Ciena’s Technical Publications that are key to the business?
What Will You Do at Ciena as a Senior Technical Writer?
- Plan, build, develop, write, edit, and update a variety of software/hardware multimedia and web-based customer technical publications (product descriptions; installation manuals, operation, and administration manuals, user guides, API reference guides, etc.) for packet optical and network management products;
- Research and translate technical information into multimedia and web-based documents (including on-product context-sensitive help) for non-technical and technical users;
- Recommend and implement new documentation methods and formats that serve and satisfy technical and customer requirements;
- Produce product documentation and online help that is clear, concise and compatible to documentation and quality assurance standards;
- Collaborate within cross-functional teams that include senior Product Line Management, SW & HW Design, Product Verification, System Network Engineering, Customer Support and Marketing personnel;
- Understanding of the customer experience with network planning tools, and how to constantly improve both the technical documentation and the planning tools themselves to improve that experience.
What Technical Experience and Personal Skills Are Required for This Role?
- Planning, implementation, and deployment of Layer 0 and Photonic telecommunication networks;
- Understanding and experience with the Agile software development process;
- Knowledge of Photonic networks and network Planning Tools;
- Ability to summarize and document sophisticated network tools and features, for both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experienced proficiency with Adobe FrameMaker (Structured/XML);
- Experience with DITA;
- Experience with CMS and CCMS document management systems;
- Experience interworking with XML SW development environments;
- Experience with Agile development processes, including the development of customer documentation in an Agile environment;
- Proficiency with MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Illustrator, CorelDraw, and/or other CAD vector-based graphics creation and editing applications;
- Ability to work with multiple teams across different time zones;
- Ability to prioritize and use time management to complete multiple projects at the same time.
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.