What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
Technical Writer, Unified Customer Experience
Join our fast-growing documentation and learning team to develop original and compelling content experiences for customers. This position requires someone who has successfully developed technical content in a continuous-publishing environment. Your investigative and writing skills are what we’re hiring you for; we can catch you up to speed on our industry.
What You’ll Do in This Role
As a Technical writer for unified customer experiences, you get input from customers and internal stakeholders to develop and implement an effective content strategy. You team up with other writers to create user interface text, Walkme content, error messages, and Avalara Help Center articles for customers using your products.
- Understand your customers, gathering data and sharing information with your colleagues to improve the product experience
- Develop a content strategy for your assigned product area, including what type of content customers need throughout their lifecycle, and when to use each of the content types we’re able to create
- Produce content workflows that demonstrate how customers are interacting with our help content
- Organize and prioritize your content to keep customers informed about new and changing product features
- Work with engineering and your learning team colleagues to coordinate and report about the planning, development, and delivery of multiple simultaneous software releases
- Collaborate with writers for other product areas to improve efficiency through shared content and create a seamless content experience for customers
- Evangelize company-wide for great customer experiences, and help establish content development processes in a rapidly growing agile environment
Skills You Need For This Position
We’re breaking ground and creating an industry. We’re building new ways for people around the world to manage their business in the cloud. If you want to expand a range of skills while creating original solutions, this may be the right place for you.
- You know how to prioritize, and you’ve learned how use that skill to calmly work your way through competing requests
- You’re really good at documenting what you’re doing, and you recognize that it’s critical to communicate with colleagues and stakeholders.
- You know what great content is, and you can show others what it looks like
- You’re willing to speak up, and you have the data to back up your assertions
- You ask excellent questions and contribute to the answers
- You want to create something big and important from scratch
- You have great ideas and you want to work somewhere that you can finally try them
Be prepared to share examples demonstrating these qualifications during the interview process. Portfolios and samples are strongly encouraged.
- 3+ years of directly relevant experience working for an enterprise software company in user interface text and product documentation (3-5 years)
- 3+ years of experience writing and/or editing for the web and working with design tools like Figma, Wiki markup, DITA, or HTML (3-5 years)
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience writing or editing in a range of styles and tones, from highly technical to conversational (3-5 years)
- BA/BS degree in Technical Writing, Technical Editing, Journalism, or English, or relevant professional experience
- 1+ years developing micro-copy / UX content for a customer-facing software product (1 year)
- 2+ years of experience working with graphics, visuals, or other media (2 years)
- MA/BS degree in Technical Writing, Technical Editing, Journalism, or English, or relevant professional experience