Shopify is a platform built for independent business owners of all shapes and sizes to start, sell, market and manage their businesses online, in-store, and everywhere between.
With a comprehensive set of industry-leading tools, Shopify has helped over 1,000,000 people in 175 countries take control of where they take their businesses. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify has worked with brands like Unilever, Gymshark, Allbirds and countless others that started with nothing but an idea, a passion, or a purpose.
We’re looking for a creative and passionate API technical writer to develop and maintain self-help content that serves a growing community of Shopify app developers, theme developers, and partners.
Our technical writers love to dig into the code to learn how things work, and they channel that knowledge to create API reference content, tutorials, and guides. They work closely with Shopify developers to identify ways to expand and improve our self-help materials so that merchants, partners, and app developers can use our documentation effortlessly.
Our ideal candidate is an API technical writer with experience writing developer documentation, a proven track record of leading documentation projects, and excellent communication skills.
You'll be working on
- Writing technical, developer-centered content for new and updated APIs, that's based on changes to the Shopify codebase, SME and editorial reviews, and hands-on testing.
- Helping to define and implement a content strategy for the API documentation team.
- Contributing to decisions that have an impact at various levels inside and outside of Shopify.
- Building relationships across Shopify's R&D, UX, marketing, and support teams.
- Crushing documentation bugs, correcting errors, and improving problematic content, all with reference to our documentation style guide.
- Participating fully in the life of the team, taking part in discussions, debates, and meetings.
- Mentoring team members at various skill levels.
- Championing projects that have a high degree of complexity with many stakeholders throughout Shopify.
- Learning a ton of new skills and sharing your own.
To Succeed In This Role You'll Need
- Strong writing skills based on past experience in writing or editing API documentation.
- Well-versed in building and managing a network of subject matter experts.
- A commitment to understanding our audiences’ needs informed by empathy (helping developers and partners accomplish their goals and build their businesses is our main objective).
- A deep interest in the different ways that people discover and process information.
- High standards, an obsessive eye for detail, and a strong sense of ownership.
- A track record of delivering developer documentation in a fast-paced environment where requirements and scope can change quickly.
It's a Bonus If You Have
- Familiarity with GraphQL or REST APIs.
- Worked with version control software such as Git.
If you’d love to join us in our quest to make our developers’ and partners’ lives easier and to help their businesses grow, then we want to hear from you. Send us your resume and a cover letter, as well as one or two samples of your written work. Please address your cover letter to Patrick De Pape. Please include your writing samples, cover letter, and resume in a single file upload, or provide hyperlinks to an online doc in the "Message to Hiring Manager" section of the application. We're looking forward to hearing from you!
This posting will close on Friday, May 28th at 2PM EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our [2019 Sustainability Report ](https://s23.q4cdn.com/550512644/files/docdownloads/2020/2019-Shopify-Sustainability-Report.pdf)to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Please note that if you haven’t heard from us in 3 weeks time we recommend checking your junk folder and whitelisting “Shopify” as, at times, our emails have ended up in junk folders.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this _close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.