This position is for a Sr Technical Publications Writer that is an expert in Adobe Structured Framemaker. The position requires attention to detail and great organizational skills. Candidate should be able to multi-task and work on several jobs at a time. The candidate must have excellent communication skills and be willing to work as part of a collaborative team. The candidate should have experience working with very large books from 300-1000 pages containing upwards of 20+ chapters. The candidate will work very closely with a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in developing Technical Publications. The candidate should have a strong technical background. Experience in Mechanical or Electrical field is preferred.
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs. Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Education / Training
• College degree with a major in engineering or equivalent electrical training.
Key Job Elements
• Create technical content for an array of different publications using Adobe Structured Framemaker;
• Work hand in hand with SME to develop content;
• Establish and maintain writing standards;
• Commitment to working within the organizational structure and templates in place for Technical Publications;
• Work closely with engineering staff on technical issues;
• Work as part of a team and share knowledge freely;
• Request/take photos as necessary;
• Create or edit graphics as necessary;
• Provide weekly status update on current projects.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum 10 years of Tech Writing experience;
• Minimum 4 years of experience using Adobe Structured Framemaker;
• High level of technical writing skills;
• Relatively high level of analytical ability where problems are complex;
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others;
• College degree preferred;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication and conflict management skills;
• Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills;
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office suite);
• Knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..