IESC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to equitable, sustainable economic growth in developing countries. IESC believes that a robust private sector is a foundation for resilient nations and strong communities. Since 1964 IESC has helped to grow small and medium enterprises around the world and strengthened the systems and institutions that support them. By deploying a mix of technical assistance and volunteer expert support, IESC works with emerging industries, financial institutions, and governments to stabilize economic environments, increase opportunity, and promote growth.
IESC is seeking technical specialists/writers in various technical fields, particularly in trade, youth and workforce development, market-driven agriculture, business enabling environment, enterprise finance and investment, to assist with new business/proposal development and program reports on a consulting basis. The technical specialists/writers will work closely with IESC’s new business team and the relevant technical team to respond to RFPs/RFAs issued by USAID and other donors as assigned as well as contribute to program reporting. The consultants will offer in-depth knowledge in relevant technical fields and will be responsible for providing background information as well as applicable solutions in the target technical areas. The consultants will serve as lead or support technical writers for proposals and programmatic reports and develop feasible and relevant strategies and implementation plans in response to solicitations and programmatic needs.
The Specialists/Writers will undertake some or all of the following specific tasks for proposal development:
- Write the technical approach or specific technical proposal sections, as requested
- Absorb desk research provided by IESC and conduct independent desk research, as needed
- Review and analyze the solicitation and identify and highlight issues/questions that require further research
- Offer options for effective approaches to achieve the goals of the program
- Develop annotated outlines within designated page allotment (planned per subsection) responsive to bid document that follows IESC provided templates
- Participate in design meetings with IESC, as requested
- Design the program approach and key activities, including guidance on the cost of activities.
- Provide input on the design of graphics reflective of the proposed technical approach
- Conduct capture trips to gather information necessary to prepare a tailored technical approach, assess the feasibility of approach, ground truth collected information, and interview local experts and partners
- Work closely with, and incorporate technical input from local resource people and partners as appropriate including local technical advisors
- Incorporate written and oral comments/recommendations from Proposal Review Panels
- Recommend feasible organizational structure and assist with recruiting expat and local consultants and staff, as needed
- Other tasks as assigned
The Specialists/Writers may provide some or all of the following support for programmatic reporting:
- Design, implement, and report on program and/or component level evaluations. Work closely with field team in the design of questions, data collection, and in analysis of the data.
- Design and create knowledge products, such as case studies, toolkits, resource/best practices guides, etc.
- Contribute in writing programmatic reports, particularly mid-term and final project reports.
- Conduct and report on desk level research and secondary market research reports to complement field-based knowledge and to share examples and ideas of similar project ideas in other parts of the world.
The technical fields where we seek talent include, but are not limited to:
- Value chain/Agribusiness analysis and development
- Enterprise development
- Workforce development
- Youth strategies related to trade, youth and workforce development, market-driven agriculture, business enabling environment, enterprise finance and investment
- Gender strategies related to trade, youth and workforce development, market-driven agriculture, business enabling environment, enterprise finance and investment
- Trade capacity building related to business enabling environment, policy, regulations, and procedures, to export business enhancement
- Microfinance/Access to Finance/Financial Inclusion
- SME Finance/Banking/Investment
- Value chain/Agriculture finance
- Impact/Emerging market investing
- Digital Finance/mobile banking
- Private sector approaches in Clean Power/Energy, Health care, and Tourism
The relevant knowledge and skill sets where we seek talent include, but are not limited to:
- Excellent writing skills and proven capabilities in proposal development.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in the fields of economic growth and development finance are required. However, it is not required that each specialist/writer have expertise in all categories.
- Applicants should have a minimum five years of experience working in international development and experience with USAID and other donor proposal and procurement processes.
- On-the-ground technical implementation experience is preferred.
- Strong project management and organizational skills: Ability to work under pressure in order to meet deadlines, attention to detail, thoroughness and accuracy are critical.
- Excellent team communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills - including written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English language is required.
- Knowledge of other languages, such as French and Arabic is a plus.
- U.S. citizen or eligibility to work in the U.S.
IESC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.