Snopes, the oldest, most reputable fact-checking website in the U.S., is looking for a stellar Story Editor to help our newsroom line-edit a trove of content that serves millions of readers each month.
Obsession with words and grammar is a must, but so is expertise in research, reporting, news judgement, and ethics. The Story Editor will bring a sharp eye to fact checks, traditional news stories, video scripts, newsletters, social posts, wire stories, long-form news investigations, and more, helping our team ensure consistent compliance with our style guide. Snopes recently transitioned to AP style but adheres to modified MLA for source bibliography in fact checks.
This editor will report directly to the managing editor and work closely with the company publishing team, which includes the newsroom’s audience engagement editor, operations editor, senior-level story editor, company CEO, and the VP of operations. Our little company puts a primacy on internal collaboration, respectfulness, and esprit de corps — no grumps need apply.
Story Editor responsibilities are:
- Ensures all copy is in compliance with AP style or applicable internal style guide exceptions.
- Support daily content production with line-editing, headline and social copy drafting, proofreading, and other copywriting and editing as required.
- Assist with editing daily newsletters.
- Provide additional research and reporting as needed.
- Complete story corrections and story updates as needed.
- Supports Snopes team members with training and feedback as needed to strengthen our style guide compliance company-wide, among other issues.
Story Editor Requirements are:
- Minimum 7 years line-editing at major news organization, preferably digital-only.
- Mastery of AP style.
- Mastery of basic English grammar.
- Mastery of basic social media posting, including on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Demonstrated adherence to impartiality and fairness in all journalistic endeavors.
- Major plus but not required:
- Current or past work as a writer or editor at a fact-checking organization.
- Fluency in written/spoken Spanish.
- Political reporting/editing background.
- Experience or familiarity with newsroom product-management initiatives (such as newsletter conversions to subscriptions/memberships, etc.).
- Experience or familiarity with big-data reporting/editing.
- Experience with G-suite/Chrome.
- Experience with WordPress and Slack.
To apply, please provide a one-page resume with at least 3 references listed and links to 3 story packages you’ve done primary edits on, and a short cover letter (maximum 250 words) explaining why you think you’re the top person for this job. Snopes will not consider applications missing any of these requirements. Finalists will be asked to complete a line-editing test using actual Snopes copy. This job is full-time (40 hours) and fully remote. We'll consider whether to make this position a management job, supervising a half dozen reporters, depending on the candidate's skills.
About SnopesSnopes.com is an independent publication owned and operated by Snopes Media Group. We are slightly more than a baker’s dozen of reporters, editors, developers, and professionals passionate about journalism, media literacy, and, of course, fighting misinformation. We work remotely — there is no official Snopes office — but we maintain a collaborative and supportive team dynamic. Learn more about our work and history here.