Over the past decade, the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation has established itself as the leading voice of health and medical research in Oklahoma. The Staff Writer and Media Relations Manager will support efforts to maintain and expand the foundation's public profile through compelling storytelling and media engagement. Reporting to the Director of Public Affairs, the Staff Writer and Media Relations Manager will develop and coordinate communications for OMRF's non-scientific audiences.
OMRF's excellence can only be fully realized by individuals who share our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Successful candidates will demonstrate commitment to these values. OMRF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Write and report content for internal and external materials, including:
- OMRF’s biannual Findings magazine, including long-form narrative features
- Annual report
- Quarterly employee newsletter
- Press releases, with particular attention to timely content that enhances the public's positive perception of OMRF
- Fundraising materials
- Website copy
- Email newsletters
- Serve as primary contact for all incoming media inquiries and onsite liaison to members of the media
- Identify and cultivate key local, regional and national media contacts/outlets to actively pitch and maximize coverage of OMRF news
- Maintain OMRF’s quarterly media activity report
- Web content editing (media activity, press releases and weekly columns)
- Conduct media training for OMRF researchers and staff
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five years of progressive experience in media, an agency or in-house in a marketing/communications function
- Extensive writing, editing and content creation experience
- Experience with long-form, narrative feature writing
- Advanced knowledge of Associated Press style
- Familiarity and relationships with local, regional, and national media contacts
- Knowledge of WordPress
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or other field that incorporates significant writing skills and five years relevant experience or equivalent education and experience.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and 2-3 writing samples along with their application.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Media relations and special events may require occasional work outside regular business hours.