Thank you for your interest in this position with CQ Roll Call, a wholly-owned subsidiary of FiscalNote. The recruitment for this role is being managed by FiscalNote's Recruiting team (parent company), so you are in the right place! Please continue to review this opportunity and apply at your interest. We are excited to review your background. Thank you!
About the Position
CQ Roll Call seeks an experienced and versatile journalist to join our campaign coverage team focused on House and Senate races. The right candidate can stay on top of multiple races around the country and produce accurate, quick, concise reports as well as longer enterprise coverage that help a sophisticated audience track how races for seats in Congress affect what happens or will happen in the Capitol, and vice versa.
The ideal candidate has excellent news judgment, superior reporting and writing skills, data journalism experience, can set and meet deadlines, and can handle pressure from competing interests trying to steer coverage. You will work on a team that produces content for our newspaper, websites, newsletters, and occasional podcasts and webinars.
Applicants must submit four (4) samples of work from newspapers, news websites or news magazines that demonstrate unbiased political coverage. Stories could show you are able to break news, delve into an issue, or help readers see into what drives candidates for office. Work samples can be uploaded as PDFs or provided as direct links that are not password-protected. Candidates will be tested on writing skills, AP style and congressional knowledge before advancing to interviews.
What To Expect In This Position
- Working on a team covering dozens of competitive races that often has to shift gears with no notice
- Thriving in a fast-paced, subscriber-focused newsroom where journalism is produced for two websites, a newspaper that publishes when Congress is in session, and dozens of newsletters in front of and behind a paywall
- Contributing news items and enterprise to At the Races, the campaign newsletter
- Developing and managing a network of sources who can help you get inside races that will decide control of Congress
- Interviewing candidates when they are in Washington and occasionally traveling to key districts and states to report from the field
- Coordinating with editors and reporters across the newsroom, especially those covering Congress and the White House
- Collaborating on visuals, graphics, audio and other storytelling forms
- Writing or updating member profiles that feed CQ’s Guide to the New Congress and other products about members
What Sets You Apart
- 5 years of experience at newspapers, news websites, magazines, wire services and other news outlets. Experience in Washington, D.C., for a subscription news outlet, wire service or news bureau covering Congress is strongly recommended
- Skill with tools such as Excel or Sheets to analyze campaign finance disclosures and other candidate data
- Facility with social media coupled with ability to filter the noise to find the stories that matter
- A college degree is helpful but not essential. Equivalent, relevant work experience is what matters
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and mastery of AP style
- Deep understanding of the journalistic values of accuracy, objectivity, fairness and editorial independence
- Comfort in working with a variety of content management and publishing production systems. Knowledge of WordPress is helpful.
Reference ID: #LI-DP1 #LI-remote
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply!
FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate.
Questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve as an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.