USA Lacrosse, a non-profit organization, is the governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse in the United States, leading the U.S. National Teams Program and establishing universal standards. With nearly 400,000 members, we provide national leadership, structure, and resources to fuel and unify the sport’s growth and enrich the experience of its players, coaches, officials, parents, and program leaders.
USA Lacrosse believes a diverse staff best positions our organization to fulfill its mission. We strive to attract and maintain a team of talented and dedicated professionals who reflect the diverse nature of our membership and the national lacrosse community. We are committed to a staff culture that ensures everyone feels welcomed, valued, and included.
The part-time Staff Writer partners with our internal team to produce news articles and features for USA Lacrosse publications, with an emphasis on USA Lacrosse Magazine (print) and USALaxMagazine.com (online).
This part-time position will operate largely on an assignment basis, but will also be responsible for generating story ideas, contributing to social media, assisting with gameday/event coverage, and will occasionally copyedit and post content. Due to the nature of the role, this position does not have to work out of our headquarters office in Sparks, MD, but the candidate will need to be willing to participate in video calls to collaborate with the team.
If you are someone who loves to tell stories…especially about sports…and want to be part of a fun, dynamic, and collaborative team this is a great opportunity for you!
A Typical Day Looks Like…
Research & Writing
- Writes content for news articles and features for USA Lacrosse publications, primarily USA Lacrosse Magazine (print and online).
- Conducts research, brainstorms story ideas, and interviews people based on assigned topics and pieces to write an interesting, engaging, and entertaining piece.
- Develops sources and relationships within USA Lacrosse and the broader lacrosse community to build a pipeline of breaking news opportunities and original content.
- Covers lacrosse games and events and writes accurate and entertaining stories to recap the game/event.
- Promotes content and posts via social media channels (Twitter, Instagram, IG Stories, and Facebook).
- Assists with copyediting and proofing of print and digital content.
- Helps write headlines, cutlines, summaries, and photo captions for print and digital content.
- Stays current on the sport of lacrosse to develop new and fresh content and ideas for stories.
- Partners with the magazine team and other internal staff members to generate compelling story ideas for the magazine and website.
- Attends editorial meetings, brainstorms with the team, and pitches story ideas.
- Works with internal team members to design pages for publications as needed.
- Ensures content created aligns with the direction, brand, and Mission of USA Lacrosse and our publications.
Is This You
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 to 3 years of experience writing for a newspaper, magazine, or digital publication. Previous sports writing experience a plus, but not required.
- Strong interviewing, writing, and copyediting skills.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Experience working in content management systems (CMS).
- Proficiency in Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media platforms.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, specifically Outlook, Word, Teams, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize, attention to detail, and the ability to meet required deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and interpersonal.
- Ability to exercise discretion and handle confidential information when necessary.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team in a hybrid (in-office/remote), fast-paced, “roll up your sleeves” work environment.
- Strong work ethic with a “customer first” and professional attitude.
- Willingness to learn about the sport of lacrosse and appreciate the need to develop and fuel the growth of the sport with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
- Ability to align with USA Lacrosse’s Mission, Vision, and Values and strategic plan to support our initiative and organizational goals.
Core Values & Competencies
- We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve – Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate – Creativity
- We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
- We Have Fun – Work Hard and Play Hard
Expected Hours of Work
USA Lacrosse’s core business hours are 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday and 10am to 2pm on Saturday. This part-time position is generally expected to work 20 to 25 hours Monday through Friday to complete work assignments; hours may vary between business hours and evening hours to accommodate the needs of the position. There may be occasional requirements for longer hours during the week and/or on weekends based on events and other business needs.
If there is any travel associated with this role it will be minimal, up to 10% and the travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
USA Lacrosse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other status/characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law. USA Lacrosse believes diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.