The Kinder Institute for Urban Research (KIUR) at Rice University aims to improve lives through data, research, engagement, and action. The institute's interdisciplinary team specializes in research that leads to action through partnerships with local agencies, intersecting areas such as economic mobility, education, health, housing, and transportation.
The Kinder Institute for Urban Research is seeking a full-time staff writer. The primary responsibilities of the staff writer include the day-to-day writing and oversight of the institute’s social media and digital channels as well as serving as a contributing writer for the Urban Edge news platform and editing print and digital media for specific audiences.
The ideal candidate has extensive knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style and has experience writing for multiple audiences, including blogs and news releases, and thoroughly enjoys writing.
- Conceptualizes, researches, and writes high-level, creative content with complex subject matter for informational, promotional, and public relations projects to support the initiatives and objectives of the Kinder Institute for Urban Research
- Manages the day-to-day social media and digital channels for the institute
- Edits copy for accuracy, effectiveness, and style
- Produces articles, features, press releases, marketing collateral, newsletters, web pages, and/or other types of materials
- Consults and advises internal teams with their communications needs and participates in developing communications strategies
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years of professional writing experience; additional related education can be substituted in lieu of the experience requirement on a year for year basis
- Related experience in the day-to-day writing and oversight of social media and digital channels.
- Related experience in writing and editing for print and digital media
- Able to develop content and build a digital community through social media channels, blogs, and the web with the intent to grow and engage intended audiences
- Intermediate knowledge of job-required tools and applications (e.g., Adobe Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere)
- Ability to take direction and work as part of a team
- Adaptable to change and working in a fast-paced environment
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, or related field strongly preferred
- Extensive experience managing and coordinating editorial and publication projects
- Advanced editorial and writing skills and the ability to synthesize material from multiple sources
- Demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of information release to internal and external audiences
- The successful candidate will be a strong writer and editor and have a deep understanding of various digital/social media channels, audiences, and analytics.