The Hustle is a fast-growing digital media company that provides smart business insights and analysis to an entrepreneurial-minded audience.
We're changing how media companies build brand loyalty. And as one of our early hires, you will help us chart the course.
This role is ideal for a sharp writer who's obsessed with business and startups and understands how to create viral hits. Must write with flair and originality and have the courage to take risks. You’ll contribute across our editorial products, writing stories for our daily email, our long-form Sunday edition, and our paid member community for entrepreneurs, Trends.
What You’ll Do
- Generate distinctive story ideas by staying on top of the day’s most important business and tech news.
- Write engaging pieces on daily deadlines that smartly analyze the news in The Hustle’s signature voice (sense of humor required).
- Contribute longer, more deeply reported business and tech pieces that attract a wide audience.
- Help us find creative new ways to engage with our daily audience (1.5 million subscribers) and our fast-growing entrepreneurial community.
- Be comfortable wearing many hats as we adapt to meet our audience’s needs.
What You’ll Bring
- A creative approach to storytelling and idea generation
- A demonstrated ability to write stories that generate buzz
- Ability to deliver clean copy under daily deadline pressure
- Experience writing short- and long-form content
If you’re interested in business and tech news and you can write about it in an entertaining way, we’d love to hear from you.
- An adaptable, can-do spirit
- Resourceful and able to take direction well
- Defaults to optimism, one of our company's core values
- Great brainstormer capable of generating big ideas
- Ability to move fast and balance multiple assignments at once
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- Monthly book stipend
- Team happy hours
- A chance to help create and shape indispensable editorial products and services that serve a global audience
About The Hustle
Our mission is simple: Build a modern information company that has a direct relationship with 80 million working professionals.
We started with business news and analysis that busy professionals need every day. We've expanded into paid subscription products and services for our audience of builders, doers, and dreamers.
What We Need From You
Please briefly describe why you're a good fit for this position, two ideas for a Sunday story, one project you're particularly proud of, and what your dream job would be. You can include your responses in this application or email them to our head of content, Brad Wolverton (firstname.lastname@example.org), with "staff writer opening" in the subject line. We won't read your application without this information.
We encourage applications from candidates who have succeeded in a startup environment and we welcome candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, with experience outside of journalism. We're also open to candidates with different levels of experience. For us, having a person with the right mindset and temperament is most important.
We are committed to diversity and strongly encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and individuals with disabilities.