IDG Communications is seeking a staff writer, PCWorld English Language, to join our team in the United States! The job entails an exciting mix of news reporting, product testing, and writing, writing, writing. With direct access to the latest, greatest consumer tech products, we’ll actually pay you to play with toys.
The candidate must have solid writing skills, including full command of the English language and the ability to explain complex technical information quickly and effortlessly in an entertaining, accessible way. Beyond that, experience with the PC ecosystem and a genuine passion for computers and consumer tech is an absolute must.
Have you built your own gaming PC? Do you have strong opinions on GPUs, SSD, and mechanical keyboards? Are you your family’s designated tech support for everything ranging from home networking to PC security to Windows updates? If so, this job may be for you. The position includes daily writing for PCWorld.com, so you’ll need to be well-versed in PC hardware and software, and related gadgets.
A typical day: One moment you’ll be writing a breaking news story. The next moment, you’ll be appearing in a live-streaming talk show. Then you’ll pivot to product testing – necessary research for your 1,500-word laptop review that you’ll write later in the week.
IDG Communications’ vision is to make the world a better place by enabling the right use of technology. Upon joining IDG, you can expect a stable, consultative, and hard-charging work environment along with an office culture that rewards, recognizes, and respects achievement.
Join us at one of our US locations (Needham, MA; San Francisco, CA) or work remotely almost anywhere in the United States!
As a staff writer, you’ll report to the PCWorld Executive Editor. Responsibilities include:
- Owning various product beats, from hardware to software.
- Writing a wide variety of bylined content, including news, how-to articles, op-ed, features, and product reviews.
- Appearing on video.
- Completing all articles to the highest editorial standards, and working toward a deliberate, data-driven content plan. Some of our articles are written for Internet search. Others are written for our devoted daily visitors, Facebook followers and newsletter subscribers. But all articles are written with a specific intent in mind.
- Strong writing skills. You should be able to write quickly and effortlessly. You require very little editing. You know your grammar. You know how to tell a compelling story. You can explain how technology works in a clear, accessible way. Your writing voice is fun and conversational.
- A genuine passion for tech. This includes PC laptops and desktops; components like CPUs, GPUs and SSDs; Windows and related software; and all manner of consumer tech gadgets. If you have passion for the products PCWorld covers, as well as an analytical mind, you should be able to thrive in our editorial framework.
- A team-focused attitude, and a readiness to chip in and help whenever and wherever necessary.
- Some flexibility with working hours to accommodate communication with team members working in other time zones.
Please upload a formatted version of your resume and cover letter during the application process.
IDG is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.