Fierce Biotech is looking for a sharp, eager journalist in the U.K. or Europe to join our growing newsroom.
You’ll serve as the vanguard of our daily coverage, starting your day—and your news hunt—before the U.S.-based team gets to work. You’ll identify and write newsworthy stories in tandem with another writer based in the region, with work well underway when the U.S. day dawns. Along the way, you’ll assist our Fierce Biotech senior editor with assigning and editing stories as needed.
The ideal candidate is an independent thinker with strong news judgment and a desire to scoop the competition. You excel not only at building sources and breaking news, but at digging into the why and how behind the daily stories. Our readers are savvy and well-informed, and they look to us for perspective and insights they can’t get elsewhere.
Also essential: A commitment to editorial quality, a passion for diving deep into the subjects you cover and the desire to have a little fun with what you do.
You’ll work with a group of experienced business journalists who pride themselves on offering breaking news and analysis in a fresh, relatable way. We believe we’re fielding our best team ever, and we want you to be a part of it.
- Write daily stories, as well as some long-form features and special reports closely watched by our readers.
- Assign early stories and edit copy as needed.
- Develop a range of sources at companies, ad agencies and regulatory agencies, and among industry experts and analysts.
- Mine government databases, court documents, securities filings and other public sources for stories.
- Brainstorm and bring to life features that help Fierce Biotech interact with and engage a dedicated community of readers.
- Monitor social media and news sites for breaking stories, and post and interact on those platforms.
- Attend key industry conferences and Fierce events as the public face of Fierce Biotech cover news from those conferences; and moderate panels at select events.
Skills and Abilities
- Minimum 3 years experience in online or print journalism (this includes internships)
- Business reporting and editing experience a plus.
- Degree in journalism, communications, English or another writing-intensive major, or an industry-relevant field such as business, marketing, biology or pre-med.
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style Competitive spirit and desire to scoop the competition.
- Most importantly, a positive attitude, “Fierce” work ethic and desire to work on a winning team.
- Our goal is to maintain our position as the leading resource for our readers each day.
Submit a résumé, cover letter and five published clips, including features and deadline news, to our editor in chief, Tracy Staton, at firstname.lastname@example.org.