Dennis Publishing, based in the UK and the US, has more than 30 brands that cover current affairs, technology, automotive, and lifestyle, selling 2.5 million magazines per month and reaching more than 50 million unique users online.
The Week Junior , a 32-page weekly newsmagazine for children ages 8 to 14, launched in the US in March 2020 and has quickly exceeded expectations for circulation, reader satisfaction, and engagement.
We’re now hiring for a talented and creative *Staff Writer *to join The Week Junior -US team at Dennis.
As Staff Writer at The Week Junior, you will make important contributions to the editorial content of the magazine. You will be a crucial member of the team, doing your part to ensure that the magazine meets the highest standards and adheres to its mission, priorities, and principles. You will work with the staff to produce an ambitious, timely, engaging, entertaining, trusted, and accessible source of knowledge and inspiration for its young readers.
- Support the editorial direction set by the EIC, helping to ensure that the content of each issue achieves the goals set for it and always striving for excellence.
- Contribute ideas during the weekly story conference, showing solid news judgment and offering thoughts and opinions about the mix of stories and how they should be handled.
- Pitch, report, and write multiple stories every week, with a goal of delivering clean, accurate, and audience-appropriate copy, meeting all deadlines, and handling feedback in a positive way.
- Research and write future stories so that less time-sensitive copy is finished ahead of time.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with copy and research to ensure that any problems with stories are addressed quickly and accurately.
- Identify and work with the staff to solve problems as they arise.
- Other responsibilities as needed in order to meet our weekly deadline and keep our team functioning smoothly.
- Proven experience on a magazine, newspaper, or website
- Superb editing and writing skills, including the ability to write clearly and compellingly in the tone of voice established by The Week Junior
- Solid news judgment, including an understanding of which stories are of interest to and appropriate for children ages 8-14
- Understanding of and respect for the target audience
- Ability to manage workload and pace of a newsweekly
- Excellent organizational, time management, and technology skills
To Be Considered For The Role, Please Include
- Your resume
- A cover letter explaining why you’re right for the role
- Links to three recent writing samples
- One idea for a current news story that would appeal to a bright, curious child between the ages of 8 and 14
At Dennis, we are dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We’re unique, and so are you.
We provide a highly competitive compensation and benefits packages (401K contribution and healthcare) plus a supportive environment for quality work, professional development and a healthy work/life balance.
Being Brilliantly different is part of our DNA, our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we’re proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate.