We are Black Rifle Coffee Company, a veteran-owned company serving premium coffee to people who love America. We have a passion for coffee, the veteran community, dogs, the outdoors... in short, if it makes our country awesome, then we love it. Our customers always come first, because without them we would have nothing.
They have our eternal gratitude for that. We sell awesome coffee and make goofy videos, but the beating heart of Black Rifle Coffee is really in giving back — it's about serving those who serve us. That means supporting the military, veteran, and first responder communities in the ways we know best. As far as the folks who work here, we value integrity, innovation, radical transparency, a crazy good work ethic, and a deep love for our country and each other.
Our popular Coffee or Die Magazine is in search of a Senior Staff Writer for our military vertical to help expand the quality and quantity of content published every month. The ideal Senior Staff Writer is a motivated, experienced journalist who is equal parts diligent reporter and passionate storyteller, and has experience serving in the military or intelligence community. The right candidate will have experience reporting both breaking news stories and in-depth analysis and investigations, as well as the ability to find new or underreported angles on stories that have already been reported.
Life as a Senior Staff Writer at Coffee or Die is fast-paced and demanding. You should expect to pitch original stories about news and cultural topics relevant to the military, veteran, and intelligence communities on a daily basis, juggle multiple assignments and leads and file multiple stories per week. As a small but growing publication, this role will provide plenty of opportunity for travel and growth for the right candidate. Clean copy and a readiness to pick up the phone, submit FOIA requests, or travel both near and far are all must-haves in this role. Experience with photography and video production will set you apart from the crowd, but not required. This position is remote and may require travel to austere locations and irregular hours.
- Pitch, report, and write timely, accurate, and interesting articles on a daily basis that are relevant to the military, veteran, and intelligence communities.
- Work with a small but highly motivated team of editors.
- Assist with photography and video production as needed.
- At least 2 years of experience as a journalist with a focus on military, intelligence, national security, and foreign affairs topics.
- Ability to recognize stories with high potential for a digital audience.
- Comfortable with AP style guidelines.
- Proficient with Google Docs, Google Sheets, MS Word, MS Excel, and WordPress.
- At least 2 years of experience working with digital content.
- Associate's degree in journalism, creative writing, or related field (or equivalent work experience).
- Familiarity with the BRCC brand
- U.S. Military, Military Family, or Veteran is a PLUS
- Compensation range is $60-70k annually DOE with an annual bonus plan & full benefits (Medical, dental, & vision insurance, 401k vested immediately, PTO, company discounts)
Please note that only Full Time, W2 Employees are eligible for Black Rifle Coffee Benefits
- Comprehensive medical, dental & vision package
- 401k with company match
- Company-paid life insurance + supplemental options
- Short and Long-Term disability options/coverage
- Extensive EAP program with legal coverage
- Pro-deal discounts with corporate partners in outdoor equipment, clothing, etc.
- American values-based culture built on freedom, integrity, accountability, respect, love, and commitment to serve those who have served.
BRCC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected characteristic required by applicable law. All selected candidates will be required to submit to a pre-employment background check.