Campfire Labs is a content marketing agency that helps brands like Dropbox, Asana and Stripe tell stories that inspire. We’re a mission-driven company that puts people first, and we donate 50% of our profits to climate action.
For this role, we’re looking for a Staff Editor to support our commitment to quality storytelling. This person will be responsible for editing all kinds of writing, including blog posts, eBooks, full-length manuscripts, podcast/video scripts, and more. On top of basic line editing and more substantive editing, they will also be responsible for communicating high-level feedback to writers and clients, and collaborating on ideation and concept development for future projects. This role will be a valued and integral part of the creative team, with opportunities for personal and professional growth.
This is a full-time, salaried position, and like every other role at Campfire Labs, it is fully remote. It has a starting salary of $60,000 USD ($75,000 CAD). This person will report to (and be supported by) our Editorial Manager, and will work closely with each of our Staff Writers.
The Person in This Role Will
- Read and edit drafts of multiple types of content, reviewing them specifically for quality and alignment with our clients’ visions
- Communicate structural, conceptual, and other high-level feedback to Staff Writers
- Copyedit drafts for clean copy, formatting, and adherence to any provided style guides
- Make suggestions to improve our editorial management systems or processes
- Support our Editorial Manager on calls or emails with clients, if/when necessary
- Collaborate with the Editorial Manager and Staff Writers on concept development for upcoming projects
What We’re Looking For
- Professional editing experience: You’ve been an editor before, whether for a publication, an agency, or an in-house brand. You know your way around a style guide and aren’t afraid to give (constructive) feedback.
- Writing experience: You’ve either written some long-form pieces yourself, or can speak about the concepts that go into a successful story.
- Communication skills: You can explain what’s not working—and why—to a writer or client in a clear, concise way. You’re able to make suggestions and workshop ideas constructively, with patience and appreciation for differing views.
- Organizational skills: You can independently organize and manage your editing queue, follow along with due dates on a calendar, and keep track of who’s working on what and when.
- Kindness: Our team is built around a shared value of kindness: to each other, to our clients, and to the rest of the world at large. We look for this value in everyone we hire. We see editing as a collaborative, nurturing process, and want to help our writers retain their own voice through each draft, while still meeting the needs of our clients. We’re looking for editors who use pruning shears, not machetes.
- Diplomacy: As a content marketing agency, we’re always trying to find the perfect balance between hitting our own creative goals and delivering what our clients have ordered. You can respect this balance and keep all perspectives in mind as you edit and give/receive feedback from multiple stakeholders at once.
What We Have to Offer
Our team is passionate about telling stories that inspire. But we’re motivated by a larger social mission, and always put people before profits.
We take work-life balance seriously: we want our team to be able to log off, mentally and emotionally, at the end of their day. We’ve also pledged 50% of our profits and equity to projects that fight climate change.
Here’s the full list of benefits included with this (and every) role:
- Competitive salary
- 4 weeks of paid time off to use in any way you like
- Quarterly profit sharing bonuses
- Health and dental benefit reimbursement (up to $300 USD per month)
- Flexible working hours in a fully remote environment
- Biannual office closures so you can rest, reset, and spend time with family and friends (1 week each in July and December)
- Equipment and learning reimbursements
- Growth and learning opportunities
How to Apply
Click "Apply For this Job" and fill out the form on the next page to apply. We only need your application and answers to the questions listed—no cover letter or long forms required.
Our team values passion, kindness, and curiosity over titles, years of work experience, or formal accolades. So if you’re on the fence about applying—especially because you think you lack all the qualifications—please go for it! We review every application and will be happy to provide feedback if you ask.
If you have any questions at any time, or need assistance with your application, please reach out to Nicole Kohler, Operations Manager, and she’ll be happy to lend a hand.
We’re excited to hear from you!