We’re looking for a web content writer and editor to manage web content for GitHub’s key sites. The person for this role is a web copy master, and they’re thinking about ways to build and scale content, tell a comprehensive story and bring consistency to our editorial strategy and voice. Part strategy, part execution, this role requires the ability to think high-level and long-term but also get into the weeds developing copy site-by-site.
This person will join the Brand Communications team, working with content strategy, web designers, site engineering, product and engineering experts, and marketing leads. Candidates should have a deep and first-hand experience with both writing original web content and copy editing on topics like software development, open source, and technology products. They must also have direct experience building software themselves, either in a professional sense or as a hobbyist. They have a strong understanding of and first-hand experience with developers’ challenges and love the task of connecting fellow developers with the best solutions so they can focus on what matters, building great software. The team’s work is highly visible, so candidates should be comfortable working with executives and senior leadership. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, high levels of compassion for colleagues and the developer community, and eagle-eyed editing skills are absolutely required—as is the ability to multitask and project manage like a pro.
- Build strategic vision and approach to web content at GitHub
- Write and edit GitHub web properties—headlines, body copy, and long form web content
- Implement SEO strategy into site content
- Work with project managers, campaign managers, site, and creative teams to meet deadlines
- Manage refreshes and maintenance of web content
- Partner with subject matter experts to create compelling narratives, and with the design team to bring those to life
- Apply data-driven learnings to iterate and improve
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Adapt longer form content or narratives into succinct and effective web content
- Research, implement, and evangelize a playbook for effective web copy, content policies, approval processes, measurement of success, and best practices
- Audit existing site content and create recommendations and a roadmap for enhancing the content experience
- Explain highly technical, complex concepts and features succinctly and in a way that deeply resonates with the developer audience
- 7+ years experience in web content editor roles
- Experience using GitHub and proficient in various programming languages
- Track record for building and scaling web content strategies
- Knowledge of the software development industry and experience writing for the developer community is a must
- History of working with cross-functional stakeholders, executing strategies to deliver excellent solutions
- Solid understanding of brand and storytelling through the web
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working closely with executives and senior stakeholders
- Ability to be nimble, empathetic, and collaborative
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in high-stress environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong editing abilities and attention to detail
- Ability to alter writing style to reflect key audiences
- Able to simplify and explain complex issues and solutions
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- A portfolio of content written for developer audience
Who We Are
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness.
Why You Should Join
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.