In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
Wave’s mission is building financial services to work _as they_ _should_: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. We've recently expanded to Cote d'Ivoire and are adding more countries this year. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That's where you come in... .
How You'll Help Us Achieve It
We’re looking for two resourceful interns who are excited about getting things done. You'll be responsible for executing on a content calendar, developing creatives, and helping to promote our employer brand as we rapidly scale both business units.
In this role, you'll:
- Write, edit and publish short written pieces communicating our employer brand, our company culture, and highlights of our recent work to job applicants and the public
- Record, edit and promote audio and video content that enhances the public visibility of Wave and Sendwave
- Outline content to be written by others within the company
- Manage employer social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and potentially other venues to articulate the benefits Sendwave offers as an employer
- You can work remotely as long as you have reliable Internet access. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, Senegal, or Cote d’Ivoire.
- When travel is safe, our team meets for retreats periodically. Wave covers all costs associated with travel to and from retreats. We would only ask you to travel when it is safe to do so.
- This internship will last from 12-16 weeks, depending on candidate availability.
- Compensation is $22/hour, with 8-12 hours expected per week.
- Creative copywriter with strong English communication skills
- Experience managing social media accounts in at least one of the following platforms: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
You Might Be a Good Fit if You
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
- Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
Bonus Points if You
- Are familiar the user base of our products (Wave + Sendwave)
- Can speak and write in French
- Demonstrate video and/or audio editing skills
- Demonstrate graphic design skills
- We're a team of ~200 people (90 Senegalese, 20 Cote d'Ivoirian and 90 International) who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to Apply
If interested, please apply below by submitting a resume, a writing sample of 500 words or less, as well as a cover letter in English with links to relevant social media accounts or campaigns you have created or managed that describes your interest in our company and the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.