At Netlify, we're building a platform to empower web developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We're aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 800,000 developers worldwide.
We recently raised $53M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. This round was led by the EQT Ventures with participation from existing investors Andreessen Horowitz & Kleiner Perkins. This brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $98M to date. Other past investors include Bloomberg Beta, Designer Fund, and Tank Hill Ventures, as well as the founders of Figma, GitHub, Slack, and Yelp.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~48% woman or non-binary, and are composed of about half as many nationalities as we are team members.
About the Position
Developers love using Netlify to build, deploy, and manage their sites and apps. Documentarians love it, too, as more and more docs-as-code projects move their sites to Netlify—including the Linux Foundation, Docker, Kubernetes, Hugo, Citrix, and Atlassian.
Inside the company, we're a small but growing team of about 100, working cross-functionally in a documentation-driven approach to product development. We're looking for a development-savvy senior technical writer to help write and review documentation, tutorials, and UI copy, striving for clarity, consistency, and correctness across the entire customer experience.
We're at a key place in our development, building our Documentation team to support an increasing rate of product additions and enhancements. We're hoping our next hire will not just expand the team's bandwidth for documenting new and improved product features but also establish their own focus area over time.
We're eager to meet people who are interested in increasing the impact and reach of the Docs team by following their passions and drawing on their particular experience. For example, we could imagine our new senior technical writer establishing data analysis and reporting to help shape the docs roadmap / measure success, working closely with our external partners on mutually beneficial documentation projects, establishing a pairing process with marketing, or driving improvements to our API documentation.
- Work with the Product and Engineering organization throughout the development process to write and revise documentation for new features. In most cases, a developer will write a first draft or brain dump, and a writer will refine the work.
- Review and edit informative content (documentation revisions, tutorials, support FAQs) written by team members in Support, Developer Experience, and Engineering.
- Contribute to our writing style guide and assist with selecting and implementing linting tools to help automate use of it.
- Work within our recently re-organized information architecture to ensure new and improved docs content is discoverable.
- Work with the Support team to determine common customer pitfalls and write and organize content to help avoid them.
- Iterate and develop docs team processes to improve collaborative efforts.
- As a steward of the Netlify knowledge base, impact new product planning by identifying edge cases and interactions with existing products and features.
- Work with the UX design team to refine the use of customer-facing language in Netlify products.
Key Skills and Experience
- Clear, consistent, and correct writing in English.
- Ability to review the writing of others with empathy, attention to detail, and a focus on clear content organization.
- Desire to work within established processes and help make iterative improvements to them.
- An attitude of kind collaboration across teams.
- Experience with Git and docs-as-code workflows.
- Familiarity with API documentation principles and tools preferred.
- Experience using Netlify is a plus but not required.
About the TeamThough our team is growing fast, we’ve managed to stay tight-knit while welcoming newcomers to the fold. We hail from around the globe with diverse backgrounds, and we strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. To learn more about our team and who we are, visit our About page.
We aim to create a company culture of empowerment where the best idea can come from anywhere, as we believe that empowered and engaged team members do the best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions for improvement—not just in your daily job, but in many other aspects of building a company. We don’t want you to work too hard (burnout is real), but we also want to encourage you to grow (impostor syndrome is also real) - and we’ll help you do that!
LocationsOur main office is located in the Dogpatch district in San Francisco, CA, and about 60% of us work remotely. Employees in the San Francisco area work from home two days per week. Applicants working in timezones within +/- 3 hours from PST preferred.
How to ApplyNot sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
With your application, please include:
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position, and why you would make a good addition to our team.
- An informational writing sample you're proud of.
- A resume or short listing of job history. (Alternatively, you can include a link to your LinkedIn profile in your cover letter.)
When we receive your complete application with the items above, we'll get back to you about next steps.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—pairing, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 60% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.