Under the general direction of the Chair, Program Direction or designee, the Senior Scientific Writer is responsible for collaborating with faculty, Departments of Communications and Development to promote internal and external communications to a wide range of constituents and assist in the development of grant proposals, scientific communications and publications.
The position is primarily on-campus and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it will be remote working until the public health guidelines or business needs change.
- Responsible for developing and submitting a variety of scientific materials for peer reviewed journals, internal and external print and website communications.
- Plan and prepare major departmental grant initiatives
- Work with Offices of Faculty Affairs and Research to facilitate faculty and staff virtual networks, and promote education and career events for department
- Collaborate with Communications and Development to promote internal and external communications for the department/center.
- Maintain social media presences for lay audiences
- Plan and execute Symposiums and other focused events
- Assist in the identification and development of training materials
- Edits and proofreads articles, book chapters, grants, abstracts, posters, oral and visual presentations for style and content
- Prepares figures and illustrations for publications
- Conducts review of Biomedical literature and summarizes findings
- Process and track all incoming manuscripts, from receipt to publication. Communicate, service, trouble shoot with contributing authors, providing support during all phases from receipt of manuscript to publication
- Support Editors and provide project management to publisher: facilitate timely communication and troubleshooting Ensure appropriate, updated budgets and other financial statements are included with proposals and reports in conjunction with Business Manager
- Work with the Chair/Director to identify and maintain a cost effective scientific and public communication plan
- Perform other job duties as required.
- Master’s degree in a scientific, health care or communications field with PhD in the biomedical field preferred
- 5 years of related scientific/ health care communication experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media communications
- Experience with grant applications and scientific and publication
- Experience in using computer-based tools (Microsoft Office, Adobe applications, webpage design tools etc)
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.