Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences, and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing.
Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine.
Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
Responsible for the duties of primary writer, editor and point person for communicating the Institute's scientific excellence and impact through our earned, owned, and paid channels. Includes identifying feature and news stories ideas, interviewing and coordinating with institute leadership, faculty, students, and other sources, and writing accessible, accurate and intriguing copy.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Write and edit press releases
- Manage freelance writers to ensure press releases and associated content are created and distributed in line with journal embargo periods and through outreach channels such as EurekAlert
- Serve as the leader writer for the Institute’s award-winning magazine (print and digital versions)
- Create video script for social media, press release videos, feature videos
- Create appropriate content for multiple media avenues
- Oversee web copy for scientific areas of the website (e.g., lab and faculty pages)
- Collaborate within the department to cultivate relationships with science media and implement effective strategies for Scripps Research media coverage (print, broadcast, digital)
- Produce written and multimedia content (social media, print, websites, videos)
- Educate and coach faculty on science communications best practices
- Responsible for interviewing scientists about the research
- Ability to write stories/releases for non-scientific audiences
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or public relations
- Minimum 5 years' experience as reporter, media relations or public relations professional
- Experience in higher education research process
- Require reading and comprehension of highly technical scientific papers
- Demonstrated experience writing in Associated Press Style
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Experience working with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).