Spark Climate Solutions is a US-based non-profit organization focused on field-building in emerging climate areas. Spark recognizes the need for all available solutions to the climate crisis: mitigation, adaptation, and emerging, as yet unexplored areas.
Spark focuses on under-addressed areas of science and technology that have the potential for large-scale mitigation of climate harm, addressing near-term warming, and contributing to climate repair.
Spark works to accelerate these fields through building shared strategic roadmaps, providing research funding, seeding new organizations, coordinating a variety of stakeholders, engaging with experts, and communicating with the public. Our core team has deep expertise in science, engineering, and climate-focused philanthropy. Spark’s funders include the Grantham Foundation and Climate Pathfinders Foundation.
Spark Climate Solutions is an engaging technical writer and storyteller to join our team to bring Spark’s systems thinking, roadmaps, and scientific analyses to life for a variety of audiences. Our ideal candidates are on a continuing journey of tying together scientific exploration and public communication, driven by the desire to help repair the climate.
You'll play a pivotal role in elevating the awareness of, and action in support of, key climate topics, and emerging climate solutions. Your work will accelerate research efforts filling holes in available climate solutions, galvanize policymakers to act, and educate and align funders around strategic priorities.
Our Ideal Candidates
- Dig into new topics to deeply understand them and determine how best to communicate key points with different audiences.
- Excel at synthesis.
- Have considerable experience writing engaging scientific content for broader consumption.
- Build compelling, rigorous, research-backed narratives that don't lose the forest for the trees, and get the details right.
- Fully understand that there’s always more to learn, and enjoy the process of seeking to be continuously less wrong.
- Have proven abilities of working collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently in ways that prioritize and center empathy and equity.
- Are self-driven.
- Partnering with scientists to author roadmaps for overall solutions ecosystems including well-researched and supported recommendations for RD&D topics, policy changes, and public communication efforts.
- Write external-facing content for the general public, policymakers, and funders.
Education and Experience
- At least 4 years of technical writing experience targeting broad audiences from diverse backgrounds.
- BA or BS in scientific/technical field or English/writing preferred.
- Ability to rapidly understand new scientific and engineering areas across climate.
- Cogent, compelling, and organized writing style,
- Experience performing scientific research a plus
- Proven ability to initiate independent projects and work across disciplines.
- Excellent written, speaking / presentation, and interpersonal communication skills to engage effectively within the organization and with external collaborators / stakeholders.
- Insatiable drive to learn about the climate problem and help drive solutions.
- Flexibility, creativity, and tenacity.
- Fluency in English.
- Able to work as a W2 employee or contractor for a US non-profit.
- Availability during US Pacific time work day.
- Role is remote. Our center of gravity is in the SF Bay Area, with a possible option (not requirement) of some in-person work later in 2022.
As with all positions at Spark Climate Solutions, this will be 100% remote. Employees can work anywhere within the United States, or internationally with approval.
This position is full-time with benefits. The salary range for Technical Writer is $80,000-130,000 / year. We will consider part-time roles or contractors with terms to be negotiated.
In addition, Spark Climate Solutions provides exceptional benefits including flexible PTO, sick time, holidays, generous health insurance coverage, and full-covered dental/vision/life insurance, and parental leave.