BioNews is a leading online healthcare services company delivering daily, targeted news, information resources, and social media content directly to targeted patient and caregiver populations via more than 50 disease-specific digital publications.
BioNews combines purpose, passion, and the ability to work at the epicenter of rare disease information. We not only talk about rare, we are rare. 60% of our employees have a rare disease, bringing our mission to the core of everything we do.
About the Role
BioNews is looking for part-time freelance science writers to join our growing Science Content team!
We are seeking individuals with PhDs in the life or natural sciences to write accurate and detailed news articles about new research, drug development, and other topics related to chronic and rare diseases.
This role is open to people with a health/science/medical background who have a talent for writing and are capable of taking complicated topics and conveying them accurately, simply, and clearly for a lay audience. If you are interested in making a difference, consider joining our Science Content team, where our mission is to provide reliable and highly accurate content to chronic and rare disease communities who are typically underserved in terms of being able to access credible information that is relevant and easy for them to understand.
Our goal is to get necessary information out to readers, who are largely made up of patients and caregivers, so they can stay informed and be empowered to play a more active role in their quality of care. As a science writer for BioNews, you will be tasked with reporting on anything from preclinical research to FDA approvals, explaining studies, research, and clinical trial results clearly, accurately, and thoroughly in terms that non-scientists can understand. You will work closely with our team of editors to ensure drafts are complete and up to standards before publishing.
This is a contract position paid on a per-article basis. A writing test is required to be considered for this role.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Write at least one 500-700-word article daily for BioNews websites, with an emphasis on accuracy, clarity, and ease of understanding, on a wide variety of topics related to chronic and rare diseases.
- Work with editors to ensure stories are accurate and thorough.
- Be alert to potential problems with an assignment or its scope (i.e., evidence that a therapy assigned is no longer in active development), and address those concerns to editors.
- Conduct background research as needed to flesh out topics and provide links to reputable sources for additional information.
- You have the ability to write clean, accurate, easy-to-understand articles.
- You can craft interesting and compelling stories that appeal to our specific audiences and help to drive traffic.
- You are understanding and sensitive to the needs of BioNews' patient and caregiver readers and can frame stories and topics accordingly.
- You are receptive to constructive criticism and apply feedback to continually improve the quality of your work.
- You will turn in consistent high-quality drafts that adhere to BioNews style standards.
- You will understand BioNews workflow and meet set deadlines.
- You will work effectively with teams across BioNews platforms.
- You will communicate any issues promptly to editors.
Education and Experience Requirements
- PhD in life or natural science disciplines (cell biology, neurology, molecular biology, microbiology, biomedical sciences, immunology, etc.); master’s degree in these disciplines may be considered for talented candidates.
- Prior experience in health/medical/science writing for a lay audience (preferred)
Skills and Abilities Required
- Excellent communication (written and oral American English)
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret scientific studies
- Deadline-oriented with excellent time-management skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Detail-oriented, responsible, and reliable
Why You’ll Love Working at Bionews
- We work together to achieve our mission with humility and genuine respect for each member of our team.
- We’re smart, hungry, and humble change-makers.
- Transparency and accountability earn us the trust of each other and our users.
- Our smart, experienced leadership team wants to do it right and is open to new ideas.
Bionews strives to provide its audience with high-quality, trustworthy information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multigenerational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.