In the world of small business financial tools, language is an essential component in changing the narrative around money. People come to Square Banking because they long for a break from the usual—they're often rejected by traditional banks, turned off by an antiquated loan process, and paying unnecessary fees. Business owners want something different. And so do we. Square Banking's voice is optimistic, honest, and clear, but also creative and deeply human. We speak in service of the customer, but above all, the words we use are intuitive and easy to understand.
We are looking for our first Product Writer to join the Square Banking Design & Creative team. You will report directly to the Square Banking Head of Design, with the charter to establish a Product Writing practice we build on for years to come. You will work intimately with product designers, product managers, design operations, researchers, engineering, marketing, and legal to create the stories we tell with our products, but also to build the systems we will rely on to grow Product Writing as a discipline.
Note: Initially you will not directly manage other writers but will have potential to move into management as the team grows. Management experience is not required.
- Guide the narrative strategy of our Banking products throughout the end-to-end user experience. You will be brought in alongside Design from the beginning, to help craft the overarching stories we tell in our products.
- Be hands-on — writing and editing copy across all our current product areas as well as products that have yet to be realized. This includes the smallest micro copy to the most visible headlines and everything in between.
- Build relationships with team members and leads from other disciplines across the organization, and speak to processes and value of the writing discipline.
- Create a foundation for us to grow by helping the Design team become more efficient at working with Writers, developing processes and workflows.
- Partner with our Creative writers to create product style guidelines on tone and determine how the Square Banking brand voice shows up thoughtfully in our product experiences.
- Advocate for clarity in a complex and regulated industry, within the design team, with our legal partners, and with the greater product development organization.
**For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio along with any relevant passwords**
- 8+ years of experience writing for user interfaces.
- Experience working with Creative / Marketing writers, and ability to work at the intersection of brand and product.
- A portfolio with examples of remarkable product experiences where language was an essential differentiator.
- High level of curiosity on all things writing and design.
- A capacity to switch between creative storytelling and systems thinking.
- The ability to partner with designers during both low-fidelity and high-fidelity stages.
- Experience being embedded in a product design team with whom you'll collaborate.
- Comfortable providing feedback on designs, asking thoughtful questions about product strategy, and applying insights from research.
- Experience using design software tools like Figma and Sketch.
- Managing a small team of writers
- Writing for an ESL audience
- Marketing or brand writing
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources