The Manual (www.themanual.com) is a daily digital publication covering men’s lifestyle. Our goal is simple: We show men how to live a life that is more engaged. Whether it be fashion, food, drink, travel, grooming, or the outdoors, we’re here to provide insight into it all.
As our name, The Manual, implies, we offer a suite of expert guides on a wide range of topics, from how to tie a bow-tie to how to cook a steak. We don’t boss you around. We’re simply here to bring authenticity and understanding to all that enriches our lives as men on a daily basis.
The Manual was founded in 2012 in Portland, Oregon, by our parent site, Digital Trends, a daily digital technology publication.
The Manual is seeking an experienced freelance writer with a passion for the outdoors. This is a fast-paced gig – you will be completing a mix of assigned stories, as well as those you pitch. If we’re satisfied with your work, it could develop into a consistent, long-term working relationship.
Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- If hired, you will be expected to write articles ranging between from 400-1,500 words.
- Subjects include roundups; how-to guides for a variety of topics; outdoors trends; features on people and places; and short, quick articles on new releases and timely topics.
- You will be finding and securing relevant images and other media to complement your written work.
- You will follow our in-depth style guide.
There are no set hours for this position – only the expectation that fresh stories are turned in promptly on the assigned due date. Alternatively, we can work out a number of posts that will need to be provided per week.
Qualifications and Skills
- The ideal candidate already has considerable knowledge of the outdoor industry, and connections within that industry; experience writing and fact-checking online news; and the desire to dive right into creating publishable content with minimal training.
- The ability to turn around airtight copy quickly and reliably while using excellent editorial judgment is crucial.
- Your sources will include media from manufacturers, official releases, original photography (if warranted), and more.
- Familiarity with WordPress or a similar CMS is preferred.