Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing and expensive and makes them clear and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
We’re building products for a diverse world, and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
About the Role
Wealthsimple Magazine, “An Online Money Magazine for People Who Care About More than Money,” is the editorial arm of Wealthsimple, run by the former longtime Editorial Director of GQ Magazine. It features conversations with geniuses and weirdos, advice on investing and taxes, and stories that unpack the big strange world we live in, all told through the lens of money.
We’re looking for a News Writer/Editor to join Wealthsimple’s editorial team, reporting to the Editorial Director and edited by the Magazine’s Senior Editor. This Writer/Editor will help launch, and own, Wealthsimple’s daily newsletter. The mission of the newsletter is to produce the best-in-class newsletter about Canadian business and markets. By that we mean the most innovative, informative, most fun, least boring, clearest, most useful business and financial newsletter in existence.
The newsletter (you can see our first generation pilot here) will be a digest of what’s happening in the markets (including crypto), stitched together with a layer of insight and writerly polish. Not unlike a front-of-book magazine section for those who know what that is. The role will include both researching and writing items, as well as marshalling ideas and insight from in-house experts. The role is largely writing-focused, but the ideal candidate will be something of a hybrid writer and editor—we plan to use some freelance writing as well.
In This Role, You'll Have The Opportunity To
- Act as lead writer for Wealthsimple Magazine’s newsletter
- Own the newsletter from concept to publication. This will include reporting and writing stories and collecting ideas and feedback from stakeholders
- Assign and edit freelance newsletter stories (mini essays, etc.) to supplement the content you generate
- Source interesting new writers and work with established Magazine voices
- Coordinate with teams across the company, including product teams, Investment Research, Portfolio Management, Compliance and Marketing, to make sure the content we’re creating meets the needs of our business
- Repurpose and edit Magazine content for inclusion in the newsletter
- Generate enterprise story ideas and create new editorial franchises
We're Looking for Someone Who
- Brings 5+ years of experience in an editorial role at a media outlet
- Excels at research and reporting. The role will require closely following the news, consulting sources, and synthesizing the day’s headlines
- Writes with style, humour, expertise, and clarity
- Has sharp editorial instincts and news judgment
- Keeps up with pop culture, politics, and sports—and of course markets and technology
- Can hustle. You’re a self-motivated person who proactively finds stories that other outlets miss
- Is creative. We don’t just want to do what we’ve already done; you'll help push the newsletter into new territory
- Is obsessive about publishing the planet’s most interesting, useful, entertaining, and absolutely accurate money content
- Isn’t necessarily an expert on financial topics, but is down to become one 🚀