About Blavity, Inc.: *Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & gen-z through original content, video and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 80 million millennials per month through our growing brand portfolio which includes: Blavity News, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes with our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
*Job Summary: *The Blavity News Copy Editor is a (1099) contract which ensures all Blavity news is produced accurately, and aligns with our Blavity News editorial style guide. Partnering in close collaboration with the News Writing Team, this position reviews and edits all news stories produced by the team, ensuring proper tone, voice and context, and voiding errors/grammatical mistakes. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast paced environment, has refined writing skills, stellar research skills, an understanding of user experience, and has the ability to write with empathy.
This contract will be overseen by the Blavity News Editor-in-Chief.
- Copy/edit 8-10 news articles a day
- Review stories for context, accuracy and grammar
- Provide feedback to all writers on errors/areas of improvement
- Manage and update the Blavity News editorial style guide
- Edit and review long-form as well as short-form articles
- Help source and flag news stories for coverage consideration
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in journalism or relevant work experience
- Experience: 3-5 years of experience copy-editing and/or fact-checking for a digital news publication
- Other Experience:
- Experience editing news stories on tight deadlines
- Fact-checking and ensuring all information is accurate/credible
- Ability to edit long-form as well as short-form articles
- Preferred Interest: A healthy appreciation of GIFs and black culture
*Details: *This is a 6 month contract, averaging up to 35 hours per week. Candidates will be expected to be available from 10AM-5PM EST, ensuring stories are edited in real-time.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.