As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York magazine does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, whether that’s up-to-date information on political events, cultural developments, fashion trends, or the latest scientific breakthroughs.
Vulture is looking for a thoughtful, curious music writer with a distinct voice, unique perspective on entertainment, sharp reporting skills, and insatiable appetite for creating and participating in cultural conversations that span genres, cultures, and high- and lowbrow sensibilities. The ideal candidate will be focused on stories that are related to both the business of music and the creative process, and is encouraged to think about the intersection of music and industries such as film, TV, comedy, and tech. We want someone who understands the music landscape, its history, and the big trends and narratives guiding it, and is driven to tell lots of great stories that excite you and, in turn, our audience.
What you'll do:
- Work with the music editor to conceptualize features and maintain a story calendar
- Pay close attention to the music news and release cycle
- Publish 2-4 stories a week, ranging from short news stories, interviews, and columns to larger reported features and topical essays
- Eagerness to contribute across Vulture’s growing number of platforms, including video, podcasts, live events, and Snapchat, and to help evolve the role in ways that best enable us to cover the music industry
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
What you'll bring:
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience writing reported feature-length stories
- Track record of writing stories that drive or advance cultural conversation and/or create news
- Deep knowledge of popular entertainment and the people that make it
- Comfortable working in a 24/7 news cycle — including, as warranted, off-hours
- Ability to meet deadlines
- A network of sources that includes label, distributor, and streaming service contacts, personal talent reps, and other creators in the industry
- Bachelor's degree required
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.