DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $900 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun. See more at www.donorschoose.org/jobs
As part of the Marketing & Partnerships team, the Marketing & Community team inspires individuals to support teachers and students across the country. The person in this role will write content across channels (including blog, ads, & email) to help us drive donations from citizen donors & empower teachers to use our site. This role reports to the Senior Manager of Campaigns & Content Strategy.
This position might be for you if:
- You’re a strong writer and a grammar nerd; you have a favorite editorial style guide. You maintain a healthy and robust diet of different writing styles and content sources.
- You write with purpose and can write persuasively to address the needs of the intended audience.
- You crave feedback to improve your work or make sure it hews to overarching goals.
- You have demonstrated experience adhering to tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- You’re a fast learner who is quick to apprise yourself of the latest copywriting & marketing channel best practices.
- You have previous experience writing in the education space and/or writing about economic & racial inequity. You may have a special place in your heart for teachers.
- Learn about the DonorsChoose donor and teacher audiences through provided materials.
- Based on content briefs, write blog posts, emails, and other content for teachers and donors.
- Write clear, compelling prose on deadline that adheres to assignment goals and parameters.
- Shift easily and effectively between multiple voices depending on the audience and channels for which you are composing.
- Synthesize feedback from multiple stakeholders effectively to improve submitted drafts.
- Location: Remote (US Residents only)
- Category: Freelance/Retainer
- Pay: Hourly, to be discussed in the hiring process
- Please submit:
- a resume;
- links to three content samples that show your best work across digital channels, for example (but not limited to) blog posts, marketing emails, & Facebook ads;
- a brief statement detailing why you want the role, why you’d be successful, and any other pertinent things you'd like us to know.
- Cover letters are optional and may be addressed to Austin Galoob, Manager, People & Talent.
Candidates who apply by September 4th will be given priority consideration and will be notified of next steps by September 10, 2020
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.